1995 Mariner shifting problem

Dog1234

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 1995 Mariner.......It had the shiftier on the tiller handle from the factory. The motor was given to me 10 years ago. I just build a boat to put it on last month. So I started it and it runs great. Water pump was a little weak so I looked at it and replaced.

The problem is that it was not shifting into reverse. The rubber grip on the tiller handle would spin/slip in place, as if something was jamming it out of revers. So I controverted it to a lever shift system on the side of the motor thinking their was to many moving parts in the factory shifting set up.

After purchasing a conversion kit it does go into reverse, but it is very hard to move into revers and make a loud click noise as it goes into revers. The noise is not like gears grinding. Its just one click. After is get into reverse it great. Also going back into neutral and foreword it works great.

HELP PLEASE.....

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Mariner shifting problem

1995 Mariner what hp and s/n?

Gerry

Dog1234

Cadet

Dang I forgot that information......... Its a 25 HP.

Dog1234

Cadet

Just got home.

G121481

I just disconected the shifter rod under the hood. Where it connects to the plastic piece. The shift lever work really good with the rod not connected.

It must be from the rod down..... I can barley see a hook just under the couling where the rod goes throught to connect to the plastic piese. Could this be jaming the rod in anyway as it gois down. It looks like it could be interfering with the movement of the shift rod?

carholme

Rear Admiral