1995 kawasaki 750ss cavitating

hermie

Recruit
I just got a 1995 kawasaki 750ss 55hp and it runs great and pulls real good in smooth water. When its wavy, it seems to cavitate real bad and "catch". I notice if I feather the gas its not as bad but if I open it up in the waves it never really catches. I thought it this was normal but my buddy brought his 96 seadoo 32hp out and this thing grabs and pulls way better in the waves?
Someone told me the kawasaki's have problems with cavitation, is there something to I can do to fix it? or something with the impeller?? the wear ring?

Thanks
Brian

thumpar

Admiral
Re: 1995 kawasaki 750ss cavitating

Look up into the pump and check the impeller and pump shoe. You may also want to check the impeller to pump clearance.

hermie

Recruit

whats the pump shoe? what do I need to look at? Is that what they call the wear ring?

how do i check the clearance? what should it be?

also anywhere to download the service manual?

Thanks

thumpar

Admiral

The pump shoe is the ramp the water rides up to get into the pump. The wear ring on a Kawi is not easily replaceable and you would have to send it out to get a new one installed. I would bet that it is your impeller causing the problem. The only manual I have seen is pretty poor and very generic for many years and models.

hermie

Recruit

everything looks good from what I can see

some are telling me to try a solas impeller and a r&d intake grate

if I were to try one which should I try first?

the solas impeller? do i need any special tools to install it?

Thanks