1995 Glastron, Simply underpowered?? Can I get more power out of the 88 SPL?

IL GLASTRON

Cadet
Bought this boat a few weeks ago, only had it out once… but our first reaction was "oh darn the old boat was for sure faster!" (old boat being a 1973 15' tri-hull SeaSprirte with a 75hp merc)<br /><br />This is a 1995 17' glastron w/ an 88 SPL Evenrude<br /><br />I realize its probably heavier as well as larger so im sure the 15hp increase is not enough to make it any faster than my old boat. But it seems the thing has no power, it did pull me up on the kneeboard but by no means was it was it a quick up and out of the water pull. It does have a fin or whatever on the trim. <br /><br />Is this just simply an under powered boat? Or is there anything I can do to get a little more power out of it? It seems to be running fine..<br /><br />I also noticed the Tach is set for a 3 cyl motor, is there a reason for that? The switch on the back of the tach is set at 3 cyl. It is for sure a 4 cylinder motor. Not that it would make it any faster, but may give me false RPM reading.. Right?<br /><br />Here are some pics of boat for reference<br /><br /><br />
DSC00901.JPG
<br /><br />
IMG_1075.JPG
<br /><br />
DSC00878.JPG

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Glastron, Simply underpowered?? Can I get more power out of the 88 SPL?

You may not be running the correct pitch prop and/or the tach may be off. Should be set on "6" pulse...Can you tell us what wide open throttle RPM's the tach is showing? What pitch is your current prop? Top speed right now?

IL GLASTRON

Cadet
Re: 1995 Glastron, Simply underpowered?? Can I get more power out of the 88 SPL?

I guess those things would help :) <br /><br />Wide open throttle tach was showing say about 4k Shouldt it be set to 4m not 6? It is a 4 cyl. <br /><br /> Top speed I was not sure the pickup was broken, I should be able to get that info tomorrow.<br /><br />I want to say its a 17 pitch, i'll look tonight.