1995 Evinrude 112 constant warning hor

MudDuck

Cadet
I just bought this boat and yesterday ran it for the first time. Shortly after within 5 min. of running it the horn came on, I put it in nuetral, the horn went off. Got goin again the horn came on again, I put it in nuetral the horn stayed on, I shut it off and started up again the horn was off. Took off the horn came back on, much sooner than the other times, went thru the whole routine again went no luck the horn stayed on until i got back to the ramp. I had been told that I could either replace the thermostats or just take them out along with the popet valves.
Any other advice would be helpful, and just what is the function of the plastic impeller pieces on the end of the springs. The springs next to the thermostats... yes I have already taken it out. Oh what fun you should really give it a try.

Thanks Again

Walker

Captain
Re: 1995 Evinrude 112 constant warning hor

You probably need a new water pump more that you need new thermostats.
The horn is there for a reason. That reason being so you know if something is wrong with your motor and you can stop running it so you don't do any damage. For instance running it hot can totally destroy your motor.

MudDuck

Cadet

Walker said:
You probably need a new water pump more that you need new thermostats.
The horn is there for a reason. That reason being so you know if something is wrong with your motor and you can stop running it so you don't do any damage. For instance running it hot can totally destroy your motor.

When I run the motor on the ears in the yard I have great water pissin out the motor. Also, the guy I bought it from said he just recently replaced the impeller. And yeah i realize he could have screwed it up but, i do get good flow on the hose, forgot to look at it in the river. Anyway, i was more concerned about being told i could live without the thermostats and popet valves.
Anyone ever seen the popet valves, know exactly how they work, and what is the purpose of those plastic pieces that sit inside the aft end of the springs???

ob

Admiral

The spring and the other part you elude to is the relief valve feature of the T/stat assy.The spring is overcome by water pressure when the engine attains a certain speed and allows water flow to bypass the T/stat seat.If this assembly is not operating smoothly it will cause an overheat condition.Your engines cooling system also contains water deflectors that may be in need of replacement as well.My recommendation is that you don't run the engine without T/stats.

Without verification of overheat condition by use of a temp gun,thermo melt stik , or touch test,I can't be sure that your engine was indeed overheating.Faulty alarm module or buzzer,can also be a source for a consatnt alarm.You could also disconnect the tan leads from the temp sensors to verify the alarm ,but I don't recommend it if the cooling system is in question.