1995 Champion - "Where's the internally mounted transducer???"

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Guys,

My buddy has a 1995 Champion (21 footer) and he said I could have his sonar if I help him install his new one (swaping out an old Lorance for a new GPS enabled Huminbird).

I disconnected the unit, and cut loose all the zip ties, and have the transducer cable clear up to where it makes the run down the gunwall.

Please Note: There is not an external transducer visable anywhere on this boat. The transducer appears to be mounted somewhere internally.

We started with the assumption that the transducer was going to be mounted in the bilge. However, after removing the troll and main batteries and removing the floor pannels we only found the bildge, airator, livewell plug controls etc - no transducer.

We then assumed the transducer cable would be in front of the battery storage compartment and as such we removed that pannel. However, once again we do not see the transducer line or the transducer.

I then went to the back of the gunwall on the drivers side of the boat, and to the best of my ability looked at each and every cable that makes its exit here. I even traced each one of these cables, but none of them are to the transducer.

Other observations:
1. When you tug on the transducer cable at the throttle, it feels as if it makes a 90 shortly up the gunwall
2. Grabbing all cables at the rear of the gunwall and asking my buddy to move the transducer cable back and forth, I cannot feel that cable specifcally
3. I am 90% sure that transducer does not exit the rear of the gunwall

Based on this, our next guess is that the transducer makes a 90 degree turn somewhere under the drivers side seat. In trying to find out if removing the seats was a good next step or not, I found the following:
http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=572164

and according to that pic, there does seem to be some evidence that that transducer might be making the turn there.

Before we take out those seats, I wanted to run it past you guys to see if anyone has run across this problem on a Champion before and might have a suggestion?
Thanks
Roy

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 Champion - "Where's the internally mounted transducer???"

have another really good look in the bilge.....use a mirror if you have to.......

i just found a transducer in there.....i didnt even know what it was !....

(and no.....they did not hide it in a funky place......it will be where you can get at it.....

and is that champion....or campion?

NYBo

Admiral

If this is an I/O and original unit was factory installed, the transducer is possibly under the motor. If that's the case, your best bet is to leave it there and buy a new one.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Guys,

1. Ooops.
I will take another look under the bildge, and include some pictures when I get a chance, but I am fairly sure its not anywhere near the bilge.

And its a Champion bass boat.

2. NYBo.
Its an outboard

Last edited:

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops!
You were exactly right. Based on your advice we reexamined and removed the bildge and there was the transducer just as you predicted.

Thanks for the advice and getting us on the right track.
Roy.