1995 Baja Islander 188 25th Anniversary Edition

grpatter

Cadet
Re: 1995 Baja Islander 188 25th Anniversary Edition

... Would you all running the 350s in your Islanders post up your prop pitch, diameter, and type (stainless or aluminum) please so I will know what to get? ...

Jim,

I just picked mine up at the very end of last season so didn't have too much time to play with it, but I was hitting right around 53 or so with a 14.25x19 3 blade stainless which is what came with the boat. This was loaded up with 4 people, beer, and the water wasn't exactly smooth either.

I've been scouring the web trying to find what others are running but haven't had much luck, so I know your feeling ;)

I'm looking at picking up a 23p here in the next couple of weeks but would like to know what others are doing, too. I'm fairly certain I can push low 60's with a 23 but don't have a ton of experience so I may be off base.

-Greg

KyHeadhunter1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Greg, thanks for the reply!

I believe I can help you out a little now. But first, the most important thing we need to know is your engine's WOT (wide open throttle) RPM when carrying your "normal" load. Take me for example, I almost always have my wife, two kids, and a 50 quart cooler with me and so I would need to check this with them in the boat too. The 350 Mag in my Baja is rated for a max WOT RPM of 4600 and I would think yours is the same. The only reason for you to buy a higher pitch prop would be if your WOT RPM is HIGHER than 4600. If not, your RPM will drop too low with a 23P prop and you will bog your engine down and overheat it. If your engines WOT RPM is 300 to 400 RPM lower than your rated WOT RPM, then you need to step down one size. Changing from a 19P to a 17P will raise your WOT RPM 300 to 400 RPM and changing from a 19P to a 21P will lower your WOT RPM 300 to 400. Keep your WOT RPM within 100 RPM of your max WOT RPM rating, while carrying your normal load and with the motor trimmed just under the point where the boat begins to porpoise, will give your boat the best holeshot, highest speed, and best fuel mileage too. It will also give you the extra little bit of power to carry a little more weight, like and extra couple of passengers, and still be able to easily pull a tube or skier.

I found this out the hard way. My Starcraft which is the family fishing rig and the boat in a my avatar pic, came with a 21 pitch aluminum prop. It has a 4.3 and Alpha 1 drive. With the four of us and our cooler, on smooth water, it ran 49 mph on gps, turning 4200 RPM. The WOT RPM of that motor is 4200 to 4800. I got excited, and with the help of Capt. Morgan :rolleyes: got on the internet and ordered a brand new 23P 3-blade Stiletto thinking I was going to hit 60 in the old recycled beer can. I was very wrong! The boats top speed dropped to below 40 mph and the WOT RPM dropped to 3800 and the engine started to overheat if I ran it wide open for any amount of time. From what I gather, when you drop the WOT RPM too low, the impeller in the drive don't pump enough water to keep the engine cool under the load its seeing. To make matters worse, I added a Stingray whale tale to please the wife, it does allowed the boat to plane at a much lower speed, but it cost me about 6 or 7 MPH on top end even when I switched back to the 21P aluminum prop that came with the boat. :eek: To really further the issue I added a large trolling motor and its 3 batteries in the bow. :facepalm: So, I bought a 19P aluminum prop and it got me back up to 40 MPH, but my WOT RPM are still on the low side. So after I grenade this prop on a rock in the river where we fish, I will have to to go with a 17P to try to get as much speed and power back as I can. The river is full of fish but also full of prop hazards too, so I will keep an aluminum prop on it from now on to keep from tearing up the outdrive. Something else I learned after I bought the 23P Stiletto, when you change from a run of the mill aluminum prop to a stainless high performance one, you need to DROP two pitch numbers to get the same performance. So if this is true, if I where to remove the trolling motor and its batteries, and that %$#& whale tale, a 19P stainless prop would be about the same as the 21P aluminum.

Your Baja might be able to turn a 23P stainless prop if you strip all weight out of the boat except you and your life vest and about 5 gallons of gas, but I'd be willing to bet that it would go faster (with the same light load) with a 21P one.

I hope that you can learn from my mistake and once we know your WOT RPM under normal load, we can get you headed in the right direction. If you don't want to take my advice, then I will make you a great deal on a 23P stainless Stiletto that has only been used ONCE!....LOL! :D:D

I keep threatening my wife (whom if it were up to her, none of our boats would ever go faster than about 25 mph.) with adding enough horse power to our Baja so that it would be able to turn that 23P Stiletto and we'll see if it can hit 80 and well, I would probably get thrown out of the forums for good if I posted her actual reply!...LOL!! ;)

Last edited:

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

As stated above you need to find out your WOT and go from there......drop down in pitch when going from aluminum to ss.......however when buying a boat with no prop this is my general rule of thumb for aluminum props......17' boat with 4 cyl engine....19 pitch......18' boat with 4.3 engine..21 pitch........19' to 20' boat with V8....23 pitch......these should be pretty close to power prop numbers you should be able to increase pitch for speed prop

grpatter

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I can't recall off the top of me head what the RPMs were at WOT, especially since it's been a few months ;)

I'll have to wait until I get out this season and get some fresh readings. I just removed the hydrofoil that came on her as well, so that may have a small effect, too.

Here's to an early season, the weather has been fantastic around here lately and I'm hoping to get out there in a next couple weeks but we'll see how it all shakes out.

Thanks!

KyHeadhunter1

Seaman Apprentice

No problem at all! We are re-spooling our fishing poles tonight. The kids are on spring break next week and we are headed to Tennessee for the week to do some Crappie fishing. As soon as we get back, we are going to start getting our Baja ready for water.

I hope you get to get out soon! Let me know what your WOT RPM is with your normal load and we'll make the best guess for what direction you should go for a new prop!

Cheers! to an early season
beer.gif

grpatter

Cadet

Got out on the water tonight, was a fantastic feeling!! :)

Looks like I'm pushing around 4800 or so at WOT with this 19p and she was running just shy of 53 with a "normal"ish load.

ThndrSki

Seaman

Looks like I'm pushing around 4800 or so at WOT with this 19p and she was running just shy of 53 with a "normal"ish load.

4800 is high. I have a 21p 3 blade for my 5.7 L and its a great prop. I use it for my "cruising" and speed prop, as I have a 4 blade 18p I have for water skiing. Gives me the best of both worlds!

Love this boat! I'm sure you had fun in yours as well!

grpatter

Cadet

4800 is high. I have a 21p 3 blade for my 5.7 L and its a great prop. I use it for my "cruising" and speed prop, as I have a 4 blade 18p I have for water skiing. Gives me the best of both worlds!

Love this boat! I'm sure you had fun in yours as well!

Care to share what prop the 21 is? I've been looking at both the laser II and the Mirage plus, mainly because I've been reading good reports on both; namely laser for most top end and mirage for nearly as good top end but much better bow lift.

ThndrSki

Seaman

Can anyone tell me what the Chrome Toggle switch under the Starboard side engine cover is for? Is that for the engine bay lights?

Mine is terribly bad and I'm trying to replace it. I think I have traced the wires to the lights.

Also, I'm trying to get my aft pole light working. No power going to the socket, but my front bow light is working.

Thanks!

grpatter

Cadet

Can anyone tell me what the Chrome Toggle switch under the Starboard side engine cover is for? Is that for the engine bay lights?

Mine is terribly bad and I'm trying to replace it. I think I have traced the wires to the lights.
Not sure, I'll take a look next time I'm down at the boat but it may be a day or two.

Also, I'm trying to get my aft pole light working. No power going to the socket, but my front bow light is working.

Thanks!

I don't mean to belittle you if you've already realized this, but since it did take me a bit to figure out (granted, first boat), are you flipping the toggle up or down? Up seems to be just the bow lights and down is both bow and stern, at least on mine.

KyHeadhunter1

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, 4800 is a little high for that engine. I would step up to a 21p prop. Sorry it took me so long to get back here, I guess I missed the notification email that there had been replies to the thread.

KyHeadhunter1

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure, I'll take a look next time I'm down at the boat but it may be a day or two.

I don't mean to belittle you if you've already realized this, but since it did take me a bit to figure out (granted, first boat), are you flipping the toggle up or down? Up seems to be just the bow lights and down is both bow and stern, at least on mine.

I also mean no offense, as I am just trying to help. Your running light switch should always turn on your stearn light and you should be able to switch your bow light on and off while leaving your stearn light on. Because at night if your anchored you should just have the stearn light on, if your moving you should have them both on.

A simple 12 volt test light/probe (available for about 5.00 at any place that sells tools or auto parts) is all that is needed to diagnose almost all hull electrical wiring. They are simple to use and make finding shorts and bad connections a breeze!

Hydrofoil
does anybody have a hydrofoil on their 188 with 350mag?
I was thinking about installing one to reduce porposing
Thanks

ThndrSki

Seaman

Hydrofoil
does anybody have a hydrofoil on their 188 with 350mag?
I was thinking about installing one to reduce porposing
Thanks

I have a "Sting Ray" Hydrofoil on mine, and it runs very well, although I'm not so sure how much these really help.... (No evidence for against.)

I will say that trimming the boat to the sweet spot can be a science, but I love this boat....