1995 90hp force flooding problem

ferg57

Cadet
i have an 1995 90hp ser#123251 force when first started,cranks 1st time every time,yet when run for a while on the lake then you kill it and let it set till lets say the time it takes to go get your pickup an trailer to load up, buy the time i get back to the boat it will not start unless i have wot an crank on it for the longest time.i think it is flooding, the gas smell is very strong, and motor smokes like crazy when it does crank. motor will not do this in the barn with the muffs on, only at the lake. what steps do i need to do to fix this problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 90hp force flooding problem

Sounds like a bad (leaking) diaphram in the fuel pump.<br />It will leak fuel inth the crankcase and usually flood out the bottom cylinder with the fuel pressure that was built up while running.<br /><br />The diaphram, gasket, or ? goes bad after a few years. Its still good enough to pump fuel, but is in the process of wearing out.<br /><br />The good news is you can get a fuel pump rebuild kit from any Mercury dealer, for about $12, complete with instructions. Takes about a half hour to do it.

ferg57

Cadet

well roscoe,once again i owe you a debt i cannot repay. thank you so much your ability and willingness to share the knowledge you know :) :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't thank me until it is fixed. <br />This may not be the problem/solution, but just the most likely, and also a common problem.<br /><br />I am certainly no expert.<br />I wish we could get some experts on Force motors in this Forum.<br />The Merc and Evinrude forums seem to have plenty.<br />The last two Force experts were both trying to sell parts on here, so they go booted off, or just got mad and left.<br /><br />If you ever have any Force questions that you can't get answered, go to www.themarinedoctor.com he knows his stuff.<br />Us poor Force owners are being neglected. :(

ferg57

Cadet

roscoe i have always belived in asking if i do not know,admitting ignorance is the first step toward knowledge. i enjoy doing for myself, which is my way of saying im to poor to hire it done ;) you are helping me do for myself,with your advice and also the other links you have directed me to. i have ordered the parts and will let you know the out come. thanks again from west texas.

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you continue to have the same problem after the repair job, make sure NOT TO CHOKE the engine in any way when it is warm, like by pushing in the ignition key, in order to avoid flooding the motor. (Speaking from experience with a 90HP.)

ferg57

Cadet

hey roscoe,this is a late reply an a heart felt thank you i just got around to replaceing fuel pump kit no more flooding problems.if you are ever in the west texas pan-handle let me know i will buy you the biggest dang steak you have ever wrapped a lip around :D hats off to you buddy ;)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your welcome.<br />Happy boating.

Kooch

Recruit

I also have a flodding problem - read the posts and got the fuel pump gasket kit through iboats - only problem is no instructions!!! kit has lots of gaskets in it but i am afraid to open it up without diagram to put it back together. i have a manual but it is 3 hours away at my camp. Does anyone know where i can get directions?

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

you dont need a lot of the parts in the pump kit. There is like 4 or 5 screws holding the top part of the pump on to the bottom part. Disconnect the fuel lines and remove the pump from the motor. Once you separate the two halves of the pump you can replace the main gasket and the diaphram. There are gaskets in that kit for the fuel valves but I would not even use them. Two valves are press fit and near impossible to remove without breaking the valves. The kit is a generic kit so some parts probably wont even be for your pump. You can remove the fuel elbows and clean them out good with carb cleaner and wire. Check the fuel valve springs and inspect the valves for damage. The middle one is held in place by two screws. You can pop this one out and verify the gasket is still intact. one of the three small gaskets may even fit in there. If the valves or the valve gaskets need to be replaced you can get them from mercury for about 5 dollars each.<br /><br />bottom line just replace the gasket, and diaphram. If your pump has a sediment bowl you can replace that gasket and screen. That should be as far as you need to go.