1995 70hp Johnson Prop Shaft Seal

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1995 70hp Johnson model number J70TLEOR. When I winterized it, I noticed some water had gotten into the lower unit. The manual I have does not have any parts diagram. Can someone please help with part numbers for the prop shaft seal (if that is what it is called) and part numbers for the plug and level screw seals? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1995 70hp Johnson Prop Shaft Seal

As everyone says ..... you need a better manual.It should at least have exploded parts views.

But there are 2 propshaft seals, #330137.The 2 Drain plug seals (gaskets) are 311598.

Also consider your motor is going into it's 13 year,and all the seals in the gearcase are that old.Don't forget to do your water pump soon.

DHP

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

there are other places that water can get in.Id suggest you do a pressure test on the housing and find out where the problem lies. You can buy a seal kit ,that has all the orings ,seals ,you need.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

When you say I should do my water pump soon, do you mean I should buy a water pump repair kit and replace everything? I changed the impeller on my old Chrylser once, but that was it. Is this a difficult thing to do?

I greatly appreciate the help, as I am a novice. I hate paying a mechanic to do this regular upkeep though. I am going to buy the entire seal kit for the lower unit. Not sure how to do a pressure test though.

DHPMARINE

Captain

This is why a good manual is a good idea.

DHP

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently decided to replace the waterpump guts on my 89 Johnson 30 HP. I got the parts, finally figured out how to get the lower unit off (not simple, given the uncertainty created by manuals that address twenty different motors and lower unit configurations) and got to work. Got the pump replaced (hope I did it right) and then noticed oil behind the prop. Got new seals, and now am faced with needing special tools to remove the prop shaft seals, possibly the bearing carrier, and who knows what else. I am concerned about numerous warnings in the manual about not moving the shafts and pinion gears, so feel I should take the whole thing to a pro.
I feel your pain about paying a mechanic to do simple maintenance, but almost think there is enough at stake to risk screwing something up that will require going to a pro anyway, along with the added expense of repairing what I may screw up. And I'm pretty much a DIY guy.

thedude7803

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am also purchasing a new manual. Like Lordy said though, I have had issues with my Seloc Chrysler manual because they cover so many different models. Then you start buying after market parts that are different than the original, and thus not covered by the manual. Nothing is simple anymore.

DHPMARINE

Captain

In my humble opinion (yeah,right) Seloc and Clymers are guides,not manuals in the loosest usage of the term MANUAL.They may have a place with those who can't comprehend the factory manual,but that's about it

DHP

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DHPMARINE said:
In my humble opinion (yeah,right) Seloc and Clymers are guides,not manuals in the loosest usage of the term MANUAL.They may have a place with those who can't comprehend the factory manual,but that's about it

DHP
Not sure about not being able to comprehend a factory manual, but do agree that the aftermarket "manuals" leave a lot to be desired. Still doesnt address the multiple models trying to be addressed with sweeping statements (perhaps factory manuals are better about that), nor does the factory manual help when it calls for special tools required that the general shadetree mechanic would not have. You pros out there that have access to the tools, to the factory manuals, and to the benefit of the tried and true procedures have a HUGE leg up on the rest of us. Cleaning out a carb is one thing. Rebuilding the lower unit is something else again. My hat is off to the trained technician when it comes to knowing what to do and how to do it.