1995 - 70 hp Johnson - Question

newportguy

Cadet
Hi everyone,<br /><br />I am new here but, I am in need of some help. Last fall my fathers boat upset in a bad storm here in Nova Scotia. It remained submerged all night and the following morning we got it out. We immediately stripped her down and cleaned everything we could and washed all the parts in fresh water and dried them and oiled them. We re assembled the motor and it started fine. We ran it for an hour and then ran it for a 2 hours cruise. Put it away for the season and went to start it this weekend. Of course it would not start nor would it raise up and down with ptt. Fixed the starter motor and fixed the ptt motor. Quite a job to get the PTT motor off. But it is fixed. I know there is one fuse under the cowl for the motor but is there any more and now we are trying to get the flywheel off to see if there are any problems there. Given this brief history any and all suggestions would be appreciated to get fire. <br /><br />Thanks Larry

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 - 70 hp Johnson - Question

Hi Larry...welcome to iboats forums.<br /><br />Little confused here.....are you saying the engine still will not start.....will crank but not start?<br /><br />That's the only fuse you found.....in the red fuse holder.<br /><br />What you need is a harmonic puller to get the flywheel off. It uses the three holes in the top of the flywheel to pull. Don't use a gear puller or the flywheel will probably break if you try to pull it from the outer edges. Put some JB Blaster or other penetrant around the shaft where it protrudes from the flywheel. Probably got a little rust in there. If you get the puller, hook it up and put a strain on the wheel. Sometimes a sharp smack to the top of the puller screw will dislodge the flywheel but be careful of doing this.<br /><br />Keep us posted as to your progress.

newportguy

Cadet
Re: 1995 - 70 hp Johnson - Question

OBJ,<br /><br />We got the flywheel off and the magnets that were there, were corroded. So we cleaned those up and put the flywheel back on. Still no fire. I have a 70 hp Evinrude and we exchanged my father's powerpack ( this black box has 3 leads which go to each one of the coils ) and my motor would not fire. Put my powerpack back on and my motor fired right away. Could this powerpack be gone on his ? Or should we conside this the start and continue to look?<br /><br />Larry