1995 4.3L Mercruiser Long Block rebuild

Thadeous85

Cadet
Does anyone know who does a reliable rebuild on a 4.3L 1995 Vortec Long block? I pulled the engine out yesterday and am ready to order the block but find a lot of bad reviews on the re-builders I find online?

brsox88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1995 4.3L Mercruiser Long Block rebuild

Does anyone know who does a reliable rebuild on a 4.3L 1995 Vortec Long block? I pulled the engine out yesterday and am ready to order the block but find a lot of bad reviews on the re-builders I find online?

Who did you have in mind? Are you looking at the ones on ebay?

my86seville

Cadet

check your local yellow pages for a reputable machine shop that rebuilds engines. that way if something does go wrong you can deal with it locally.

Thadeous85

Cadet

I was looking at A&L Down in FL but after doing a google search they seem like a lot of people have a problem with them. Right now I am looking at Rapido Marine and it seems like they are good I was just wondering if anybody has any experience? I only want to do this once if I can help it:)

Thadeous85

Cadet

I ordered my block from Rapido Marine on Tuesday so we will see... I hope to have this boat on the water soon.

Thadeous85

Cadet

Got the new long block a week and a half ago looked really good. I have now assembled the motor and it is in the boat. I am having some electrical issues. I have no spark off the distributor? I have been reading some post from Don and I think that I might have gotten the wiring from the shift disconnect switch wrong. Anybody have any advice? I will go play with it some more Thursday:) Not knowing what it was for I hooked up the two wire from the shift switch to the two black wires coming from the outdrive. Looking at the diagrams I have seen I don't see what these two wires are for? Any advice?

greg82255

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not knowing what it was for I hooked up the two wire from the shift switch to the two black wires coming from the outdrive. Looking at the diagrams I have seen I don't see what these two wires are for? Any advice?

Trim limit switch and trim sender switches. Don't connect those to your shift interrupter. The interrupter is not wired to the outdrive at all - the lower shift cable housing is connected to the shift plate and activates the interrupter switch when you shift out of gear. One end of the switch goes to a 12V source when the key is turned ON, and other end could hook up to a few different wires depending on what ignition system you have.

Thadeous85

Cadet

Thanks I am going to go mess with it tonight:) I have the thunderbolt IV ignition system. I think the the other side of the switch goes to the green white wire coming off the distributor if I read my diagram correctly. I'll try it and see what happens... I'm crossing my fingers and hopping to hear my new motor run tonight :)

Thadeous85

Cadet

It worked... :) tonight all I have to do is set the timing and tie up a few loose ends and I am ready to hit the water. Hats off to Rapido Marine for a cheep quality rebuild and these forums for getting a newbie mechanic through a first time rebuild.

Thadeous85

Cadet

I finished the rebuild and took it out on the water and it ran good but had no power and had trouble getting on plane. My RPM's were only getting to
3200. I took it to a mechanic and he said I had a bad alternator and was not getting enough voltage to the coil so I had him replace that and also
tune the carb. He said he checked the timing and it was fine. I took it out yesterday and it ran a little better but I still was only getting 3400 out of it. He says the timing advances as the RPM increases. How does this work? Is it controlled through the module on the back of the distributor? It is
running so good I think it has to be simple. Any Ideas? It has the thunderbolt V ignition system on it.

PBarrett

Seaman

Are you following the proper new engine break in procedure? That's very important to the long term success of your rebuild. The low RPM problem sounds like a fuel related problem. You may want to test the fuel for the presence of water, also may need to test fuel pressure. Did you change fuel filters after the new install? Did you mechanic check the coil? TB IV ignitions are pretty picky about which coil will work, and which ones it doesn't like.

PB

skibus

Recruit

Did anybody have a final fix to this...
I have the exact same problem...although all was done by marine mechanics and THEY are stumped!!
Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need to start a new thread of your own skibus.