1995 175 Johnson Alarms

marineseas

Cadet
When I am started up at home in my driveway everything is fine. When I leave the dock and start to get on plane an alarm sounds. It is a constant alarm. My manual says it is an overheat problem and the water coming out of my engine is cold. Real cold. I do not stay out long to find out if it will slow down my engine but it does not seem to. I put it in neutral and idle and about 10 seconds later the alarm goes off until I try to go faster again. Water still is cold coming out of the waterpump and 30 psi on the gauge before the alarm goes off.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1995 175 Johnson Alarms

Hi marineseas....<br /><br />The alarm can mean two things.....one as you suggested, overheat. The other is restricted fuel flow.<br /><br />Overheat....the over heat alarm can be brought in by either head. There is a t-stat for each head and either/or can go south and cause the head to overheat even though you are still peeing cold water....which by the way really ain't a good indication of overheat. So if ya' get the alarm, pop the top and lay your fingers on the flat part of the top of the engine just in front of the heads. If it's a "ol' crap that's hot" type touch, then it's overheat.<br /><br />Fuel restriction.....when ya' get the alarm, try pumping the primer bulb. If the alarm goes away, somewhere you have a restriction like a kinked hose or possibly the tank pick up is getting plugged. Also check to make sure the fuel tank is vented good.<br /><br />Keep us posted....thanks.<br /><br />EDIT: Just reading your post again...I think it's probably going to be fuel restriction....just a guess.

marineseas

Cadet

Thanks alot that sounds simple when you're in the house. I usually freak out when on the water thinking I'll get stranded. I did not pop the cover to check for overheating. I recently changed my fuel gauge also prior to this episode. I changed the bulb about two months ago and have been out about ten times after that but not successfully after changing my float in my tank. I changed it because it always said full.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Maybe another look at the pick up assembly will shed some light on your problem. Can't hurt.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Once again, stats are about to destroy another engine.<br /><br /><br /> I HATE T-STATS IN THE WORST WAY.