1994 OMC 50 hp cooling system questions

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This question may sound ridiculous to some but I'm puzzled and a little embarrassed.

I just put a '94 Johnson 50 hp back into service after a 2+ year down time due to illness.

I noted no tell tale stream when running on the muffs. It doesn't overheat but there is not a tell tale stream. I've checked the hose and find no obstructions from insects etc. The problem is I can't remember if the stream is dependent on the state of the thermostat or not. In other words does it "****" on start-up or does it have to warm up first? I'm also wondering if I should be able to blow air through the tell tale hose back through the engine or not? I can not do so even with the water pump removed. As a precaution I checked the water pump and out of an abundance of caution replaced it. I have yet to test but will in the morning. I just want to be "armed" with all the information I can gather before proceeding further if the water pump replacement doesn't solve the problem (if there is one).

Also, for another reason, it was necessary to separate the two upper cowl sections and in the process the rubber exhaust baffle grommet cracked. It's OMC part number 0334883 mounted between the lower cowl and the exhaust housing. Can it be safely run in that condition while I search for a replacement or figure out how to mend mine? Believe it or not, there is only one showing in stock world-wide! The guy that has it won't sell it and says he has turned down $180 for it.

What about running it with the crack in grommet it until I can find a replacement or mend my grommet?.

Any advice from you "ole hands" will be greatly appreciated.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
With the water pump " sometimes" it can just be that the muffs are a loose fit after being shoved on or yanked around when being removed,
No " seal" no water flow...
I put light F clamps on ours when that happens, it usually works,
if not, look elsewhere...the tube fittment etc etc
Or use a large drum instead of muffs but you need to have somewhere to store that

No idea with your other problem

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Stick a 6 or 8 inch piece of weed whacker line up into the tell tale.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks guys for the replies. I'm sure the muffs are sealed well and have used them many other times with great success. I have already tried the weed trimmer line all the way to the beginning of the hose at the engine block.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What's your opinion about running the engine with a cracked exhaust relief grommet. If I understand correctly it's purpose is to relieve back pressure to the engine and as it's cracked it most certainly is open to the atmosphere.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the reply old boat1. What do you mean "clearing the elbow"? Are you referring to the 90 degree fitting for the tell-tail hose to engine water jacket or are you referring to the exhaust relief grommet?