1994 Merc 60HP 2 stroke fuel fittings

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trying to find out what fuel fittings are supposed to fit this engine. There is the older silver type of submarine type fitting. The fuel tank fitting had this fitting on it. The engine has the two prong type.

So I bought another fuel tank and two male two prong connectors (Merc). Now I went to try the two old female two prongs connectors with the two new male connectors I bought form Overtons. Thew won't fit, the solid pin is too big on the new connector. I am thinking maybe the connector pin is not machined to the right size.

Or maybe the there are different 2 prong Merc connectors? I see reference to 1998 or later mercs with the two prong connectors. Should my 1994 outboard have the 2 prong on the power head? The pins on the new connecters I bought are about .270 diameter and the one on the power head is about .270 diameter. Needless to say the pin on the new connector (.270) won't fit in the older female connector holes which aren't .270 holes. So this makes me wonder if I got a bad batch of male connectors (made in Taiwan)?.

In summary if I use the merc 2 prong connector they should all be interchangeable correct? There is only one type of Merc two prong connector correct? Thanks

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 Merc 60HP 2 stroke fuel fittings

I see in the pdf manual I have showing a 2 pin male connector on the power head.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I learned that the male and female fitting is different on the engine side vs the Fuel tank side. There are 4 different fittings between the tank and engine.

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks

I learned the same, thanks for the response. Pat

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow I am a space cadet....

I responded to my own post.....Duh.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The merc tank fitting is different from the engine fitting, this keeps the primer bulb from being inserted backwards

arimatation

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That makes perfect sense. Check valve can only work one way........