1994 merc 150XRi

CampionGuy

Seaman
Yesterday I acquired a Campian Allante185, similar in design to a Bayliner Capri, with a 1994 Merc 2.5l 150 XRi. with a 23p prop approx dia. 13" (model Q/S 48-75724-45 23p). Having stern drives for twenty years I am new to larger displacement outboards and have what may be a dumb question. I understand hp is hp but, how does the hp of this engine compare to a similar hp sterndrive for power delivery and torque. I want to manage the power safely and have been told that with this much outboard on an 18.5 ft sport boat the motor will pass the bow if not careful. Seems unreasonable to me but I guess anything can happen in the wrong hands.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanx,
Doug

gss036

Commander
Re: 1994 merc 150XRi

Just be carfeful until you learn the feel of your boat. Many 18 ft ski boats will use a 200hp engine. They can and do raise the bow very quickly, but once you get the feel you will do ok.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1994 merc 150XRi

It ain't like a v boat with a heavy inboard engine that you can wrestle around any way you like at any speed. Get some seat time and get used to it.

One thing I found out with my first v pad hull with a V6 engine. You need to pay attention to speed and trim in a corner. Trimmed too high and too fast, it can really surprise you. After you clean out your shorts and get the hang of it, though, it's a lot of fun to drive.

hope it helps
John