1994 - Johnson - 150 HP "Fast Strike" - Starter Sticks on cold startup

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Guys,

My last two cold starts have resulted in two symptoms I wanted to ask about.

Symptom 1 - The starter sticks on engaging. Both of these have happened when the engine was cold. I kicked the key over, and the starter stuck trying to kick the engine over. I naturally turned the key off, but the starter kept engaging.

All subsequent attempts after this first one have NOT resulted in the starter sticking. Only the first attempt.

After multiple attempts to turn the starter off and on, it finally disengaged and returned to normal functionality.

Symptom 2 - Although I have replaced all the fittings from starter to battery, replaced the cables and have very tight connections for the fittings at the battery (no corrosion) the starter just seems to not have quite the power it should. This is perhaps a "perception" on my part, but I did notice on my last attempted startup the cables did feel a bit warm to the touch

Based on these two symptoms, is it likely this starter is due for replacment? I had the engine rebuilt at the shop last year, but didnt' have the starter replaced at that time.

Thanks for the advice.
Roy

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 - Johnson - 150 HP "Fast Strike" - Starter Sticks on cold startup

If you're saying that the starter is still running when you turn the key off, you have a faulty sticking starter solenoid. In which case, replace it.

(Starter Solenoid Sticking)
(J. Reeves)

Sooner or later a boater will encounter a situation wherethe key is released from the START to the RUN position, or to the OFF position and the boater suddenly realizes that the electric starter is still running. This is due to having the starter solenoid sticking in the closed (contact) position. Sometimes a whack to the solenoid will unstick it temporarily but usually it's necessary to remove the cable from the battery.

The cause? A weak battery or even a top notch battery that is running low in power causes a arcing within the solenoid that eventually welds the two opposing large terminals together.... the two opposing terminals being the large incoming positive battery solenoid terminal connection and the large terminal leading from the solenoid to the starter. The return spring with ther solenoid simply isn't strong enough to break that weld resulting in the continued flow of voltage to the starter.

The cure? If the battery is flawed, get rid of it and purchase a top notch battery. And also...... Replace the solenoid. Don't play with it, trusting that it won't happen again because it absolutely will, and that happening is usually in the worse possible scenario.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1994 - Johnson - 150 HP "Fast Strike" - Starter Sticks on cold startup

Thanks Joe,
As always great advice. I will start looking at replacement.
Thanks
Roy