1994 Johnson 112 won't idle...

Scubaslife

Cadet
I have a 94 Johnson 112 and I'm having issues with the idle ever since I replaced the broken ignition switch. After I installed the switch I tested it and discovered I had it wired incorrectly. Re-wired it and everything works fine except now I can't get the motor to idle. Runs great as long as you keep throttle up slightly when you start it, however won't idle even after it's warm. Replaced fuel lines, primer bulb, fuel filter, fuel pump and cleaned carbs. I'm wondering if maybe I burned out the primer solenoid when I wired it incorrectly. Is there a way to test the solenoid to verify that it's working? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scuba

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994 Johnson 112 won't idle...

The primer solenoid is used as a choke to start a cold engine. Not the usual reason why it won't idle. You can check the solenoid operattion by removing one of the tiny hoses that go to the top hose barb on the top carb. Probably best to remove it from the carb end. Pump up the hose bulb, turn the key to "on". Push in on the key. Fuel should pulse out of the hose to the top carb. One other thing-make sure the red lever on the primer solenoid is set to the correct position. The red lever must be in the "run" position, or parallel to the length of the primer solenoid.

Scubaslife

Cadet

Thanks, already checked to make sure it is lined up correctly and it is...
If not the primer solenoid do you have any other ideas?
Thanks,
Scuba

bullcity101

Seaman

sounds like something not related to your selenoid nor the ignition switch. Sounds like your carb's idle circuts need a good cleaning.
Just my 2 cents. I would just go ahead and do a carb repair kit job on the carbs.