1994 bayliner reflex w/sport jet 90

blownzr1

Recruit
runs on the trailer,runs fine with a water hose hooked to it on the trailer but sit it in the water and start it ,it will slowly idle down spit and sputter and cut off.will only start back up if you pull it back out on the trailer.anyone have an idea whats going on?...alittle more info,when i got it it didn't run until i replaced all the ignition then ran great for 2 hours until i left a dock and drove about 100 yards to the trailer.when i got insight of the trailer it started acting up to this point.

The Force power

Commander
runs on the trailer,runs fine with a water hose hooked to it on the trailer but sit it in the water and start it ,it will slowly idle down spit and sputter and cut off.will only start back up if you pull it back out on the trailer.anyone have an idea whats going on?...alittle more info,when i got it it didn't run until i replaced all the ignition then ran great for 2 hours until i left a dock and drove about 100 yards to the trailer.when i got insight of the trailer it started acting up to this point.
Welcome,
Check & post results
- the compression on all cylinders
- for spark on all Cylinders
- the fuel-pump/supply-lines

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. The carbs likely need looked at. These run very different when not or on load.

blownzr1

Recruit
fuel pump has been rebuilt.spark plugs all have good fire, #1 has 128 psi ,#2 has 138psi and #3 has 140psi....shop manual says #1 is suppose to have 135-150psi and #2 and 3 is suppose to have 145-160 psi

blownzr1

Recruit
Hi. The carbs likely need looked at. These run very different when not or on load.
yea im wondering about the carbs myself but have set them according to the shop manual,but not sure if its right

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
yea im wondering about the carbs myself but have set them according to the shop manual,but not sure if its right
You may need to disassemble clean and rebuild the carbs. Likely you may be running lean. What do spark plugs look like ?
running a jet out of the water even at idle will reduce the load on the engine as thee is no drag on impeller. My jet ski idles 1200 or so rpm faster on the trailer vs in the water