1994-225 yammie-2 stroke.hard gear shifting.

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Rodbolt,<br />I find that AT TIMES it is a little difficult to put motor in gear. .. more so in reverse.This is so whether the engine is on or not. I have put some grease on the linkages under the cowling but the problem is still there. I must admit the linkage at the basin (bottom tray)is hard to get to. I sprayed some WD40 instead.<br />The problem is intermittent. Sometimes it works fine then after tilting the motor the problem recurs. I also pulled off the side of the remote and put some grease on a bearing I see there.I tried to pull the four srews to get under the remote but they are corroded and I did not want to destroy the plastic covering. Is there anything there that would need lubricating ? The cable ends perhaps? Maybe I should disconnect the gear cable at the motor and see if it is still tight.This would give me an idea if the problem is in the remote.<br />My previous motor was a 200 johnson and I had the same problem. There was some corrosion built up on top of the lower unit where the gear lever enters. We had to pull off the lower unit and cleaned the area and it worked well after. <br />Is the set up pretty much the same ? <br />What do you suggest?<br />Thanks.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1994-225 yammie-2 stroke.hard gear shifting.

hello<br /> dude wahoo51:).<br /> did the stator work?<br /> anyway I would suspect a cable is failing. the shift shaft is a totaly different design then the omc. sometimes if not greased the bushing assy under the intake will lock up. if it does the only way to acess it is pull the power head. I would change cables first.<br /> dont shift without the propshat or drive shaft turning. the reason I suspect a cable is you refer to it will do it after being tilted.the only way to tell is to remove the lower unit. disconect the shift cable and move the slide assy and check for binding. also carefully inspect the shift shaft at the little gap between the steering swivel beacket and the exhaust housing. some older yammis rusted the shaft in two.<br /> good luck and keep posting

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

rodbolt, <br />thanks ,.I will check as you mentioned..seems a lot easier than the stator related problem<br /><br /> On the matter of the stator- I came back to you under the original heading.. It is working just fine..my posting was done minutes earlier than this one.no fouling of plugs again. no fluctuating in engine revs (on its own)..starts easier than before when motor is hot. was a long haul though. tank a million.. if you werent so far away.. i would send you some good old rum.but they dont accept it in the mail..I will have it when I go trolling. :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

cool<br /> glad all is going your way. toss back a refreshing beverage and salute a palm tree. maybe next year I will be in Venezuela working :) <br /> good luck and keep posting

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Rodbolt.<br />Sorry, sould have gotten back to you earlier but had a retreat last weekend.<br /><br /> Seem as the lever under the intake needed some grease.There is a nipple there so I pumped some grease in it.. working better now.Will stand by to replace the cables if necessary.<br /><br />Since I put in the new stator , I have no problems. no fouling of plugs, no shutting down, etc- I am not even going to reinstall the VRO as planned. Getting to be an expert at premixing fuel. Since I am never going WOT I am mixing a little leaner - 60:1 -for 5 hours of trolling on a sunday at 1400 rpm. What's your take here?<br />Thanks again..

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> should work. <br />never tried it dont push the beast :) <br />that particular stator problem can drive ya nuts, I have learned how to spot it though. the only other real problem that can make ya batty on the carbed 250/225 is a t-stat that sicks open. as the motor cools the sensor tells the computer its cold. the computer opens the enrichment valses and at wide open it will drain the #6 fuel bowl and the motor will lose power. bring it back to idle and it will poswer up again. I had that one drive me nuts for several hours. 3 other techs had given up on it. after about 4 hours of testing and body part scratching I replaced the t-stats and it ran fine,<br /> good luck and keep posting

Lloydramdeen

Petty Officer 3rd Class

good going, <br />we had checked the t-stats as you suggested in earlier on as a part of the process and they are fine. will remember all of this just in case. been a good learning exercise.I learnt a lot .I must admit-had to be telling the tech here what to do next.. :D I might have to get two spare t-stats as they dont cost all that much.<br /><br />I am due now for a career change.jus thinking I might have to come and "pass tools" as your apprentice to get the hang of things.. :cool: