1994 115 Jet

valencehsift

Seaman
Hi, I am new to this forum and would really appreciate any assistance. I just bought a 94 four winns jet with a Johnson/Evinrude 115 jet. It runs good but it is not cooling. The alarm goes off and I end up paddling to shore. I pulled the thermostats to see if that was the problem, and it is not. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thx so much, have a great day!!!

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1994 115 Jet

I run a big block jet, the first thing you need to do is to check your cooling line. I am betting that you sucked up some silt and you are blocking the cooling line that goes to your engine. No big deal, just back wash your cooling system with a garden hose. Just look at where your cooling water enters your engine and take that hose off. Then run a garden hose through it to clean it out.

valencehsift

Seaman

Ok, I took off every hose I could find, flushed them all out, I found one, underneath the motor, right underneath what looks to be some kind of exhaust manifold. Wont budge with the pressure from the garden hose. Now, I am not a pro but water should run freely any where correct? I also too off the hose where the thermostats are and ther is water coming from there, but I have the thermostats out, should it not be a strong stream?

riverjet502

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How my cooling system works... The jet pump (Dominator pump) has a line from the bowl on the pump which the impeller (jet pump) pushes water threw the transom. Once threw the transom I have a gate valve wich I use to control water pressure so I don't blow head gaskets which results in controling the block temp. Water then goes through a Y fitting. This sends water to my exhaust manifolds to pre heat my cooling water. From the exhaust manifolds the water goes to the front of the engine block (where a normal water pump would be). Then the water circulates in the block and comes out the T-state housing. (no T-state is used) Water then goes to each riser on the exhaust manifolds to cool the exhaust and then out the exhaust tips. It sound like you may have found your blockage. A jet pump can very easily pack alot of silt in your engine if run in sand conditions. Keep flushing you will get it...

valencehsift

Seaman

Thx riverjet! Now, I sucked the water out of it, it came slow but did finally come through. I can blow through now. But when I start to blow, it is very hard, then when it starts, it eases up. But, I still cannot run water throught it. Is it possible it is a one way valve?