1993 Yamaha 40hp c40plrr tachometer

Fishandboat

Cadet
I am putting a tachometer on my 40hp c40plrr Yamaha two cylinder two stroke skiff. Every body was telling me and even online it was a 6 pole. Well the tachometer does not show proper readings on 6 pole but it does appear to look correct at the 2 pole or pulse setting on the back of the tach. It says that I'm spinning my little engine while I'm underway at around 5,800 rpms wide open. It's a stock prop and I'm checking rpms before I buy a new prop. My question is do you think the 2 pole setting on back of tach is correct? I pulled the flywheel and it looks like a simple two pole coil stater. What do you think. I'm going to try and post pics. Thanks
no where online any where referenced this engine as a two pole alternator.
should I try and clean up the corrosion a bit and spray every thing down with corrosion inhibitor?

Attachments

• photo318609.jpg
    photo318609.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Fishandboat

Cadet
Will someone please confirm this is a two pole. Two pulse coil so I know the tach is correct. I thought that a two pole alternator should be a single pulse ? Do the magnets dictate the number of pulses also? Thanks every one. It looks like it would be a 4 pulse. So confusing. I just want to make sure I have the tach set properly on the #2 pole or pulse setting the back of the tach. No where can i find this info on this specific engine. All kept finding was 6 pole this and 6 pulse that. :)

Attachments

• photo318610.jpg
    photo318610.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0