1993 Spectrum Fish n Ski weight/trolling motor

Jessespectrum

Recruit
Hi I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I recently bought a 93 Spectrum 1700 fish and ski with a 75hp mercury on the back. I got it running and on the water but I want a bow mount trolling motor for it. What I wanted to know because NADA guidelines don't show a 1700 that can take a 120hp motor... They do say the 1700 weighs "1054"... but no units of measure so is that lbs or kg and also still not sure that number is for my exact boat? I'm just trying to figure out how much thrust in lbs Ill need for my trolling motor as these seem like heavier boats. It had a 36lb Motorguide bow mount when I bought it that the original owner said didn't really move the boat so I sold it. A guy is offering me an older 45lb thrust 24v model still not sure that's enough... If I knew what my boat weighed it would help my decision. Otherwise whats everybody else running for thrust on these??? I'm almost always on a calm lake... I like the idea of 24v for longer periods between charges, I camp a lot in the middle of nowhere usually...

Any input is much appreciated thanks!

floatfisher

Cadet
Re: 1993 Spectrum Fish n Ski weight/trolling motor

Hey, I am new here and I am in the same boat as you. Well sort of and no pun intended, :D..

I got a 1992 spectrum 1706 about a month ago but I have yet to get it on the water as it wont stop raining!! Anyway, I got a new battery and tried out teh trolling motor and it dioes not work. So I asked on another site about a trolling motor. The one that is not working and was original to the boat was a bow mounted 41lb thrust Minn Kota, so I ordered a new 50lb thrust motor from Cabelas as it was on sale for just over 400. I am waiting for it to arrive and as soon as I get it on and try it out I will let you know!! As far as the weight goes, it is in pounds as my boat is said to be roughly 1050 as well.

I find it a little hard to find any information on my boat and motor. I am hesitant to say what brand as many on this site do not like the motor, but it is a 90 hp Force. Seems like most of the owners are in just 2 catagories - love em or hate em. as far as the boat goes I am going to have to re-carpet it in the future but as I said I just got it and want to use it for a while before I do much to it. Not sure if my bilge pump is working or if there is even one there, lights need to be checked out, and I need to figure out if teh live well is working as well as what the 3 holes are in the back of the boat under the motor.

Anyway, I will let you know how the motor pushes the boat as soon as I get it!!

floatfisher

Cadet

Just wanted to follow up with this post.

So I had the new 50lb thrus motor on order from Cabelas, then I found a couple year old 55lb thrust motor on craigslist for 200. It even came with the mounting plate (extra $50 from Cabelas!)! I bought it on Saturday and put it on the boat and we took the boat out for its maiden voyage yesterday. Well I could not get my main motor to start :mad: So as to not make the trip with out getting out and fishing a bit I put the trolling motor down and cruised around for a bit. The motor seemed to move the boat quite well. There was even a bit of a breeze and I had no problems with the 55lb thrust moving us along in the 6-8 speed range on the foot peddel.

Hope this helps a little!!

Mike

Jessespectrum

Recruit

Just wanted to follow up with this post.

So I had the new 50lb thrus motor on order from Cabelas, then I found a couple year old 55lb thrust motor on craigslist for 200. It even came with the mounting plate (extra $50 from Cabelas!)! I bought it on Saturday and put it on the boat and we took the boat out for its maiden voyage yesterday. Well I could not get my main motor to start :mad: So as to not make the trip with out getting out and fishing a bit I put the trolling motor down and cruised around for a bit. The motor seemed to move the boat quite well. There was even a bit of a breeze and I had no problems with the 55lb thrust moving us along in the 6-8 speed range on the foot peddel.

Hope this helps a little!!

Mike

Thanks Mike I found a nice motorguide 71lb 24v bow mount installed that and its overkill haha but I can putt around on 1-3 and don't have to use 4 or 5 much... Good luck with your motor mine goes along quite well with a 75hp I'd imagine the 90 will work great once its running. happy fishing thank for the input and follow up post!

Last edited: