1993 Mercury Alpha 1 Outdrive / dissembly question

metwrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Im working on my Buddys Boat, 1994 Mercury Alpha with a 3.0 Ltr.<br /><br />Im seeing small amounts of Outdrive oil staining my floor and it looks like its coming out the raw water Intakes. The resivior was also Low when it came in. The boat see's Salt water and fresh water all summer.<br /><br />How hard is it to Pull this outdrive apart ? I realize I must take it off the stern and then dissasemble. I have never done a Mercury Aplha before ( many omc's ) Is there any Seals, Gaskets, or boots I should look at more than others ? any suggestions welcome.<br /><br />Thanks

imported_Mike_M2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1993 Mercury Alpha 1 Outdrive / dissembly question

Check upper driveshaft seal, the seal where oil runs from upper to lower, shifter seals(probable problem), seal below water pump. All can be checked without removing the entire drive, just the lower unit.

qystan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Likely its the upper drive seal behind the yoke. <br /><br />If that leaks, oil will leak into the u-joint bellow and in your case you have the reservior which provided enough oil to fill the bellow to get it out the breather hole to the port of gimbal bearing.<br /><br />Taking the drive off is not difficult. You don't have to separate the lower gearcase.<br /><br />1. Put the throttle lever in FULL forward.<br />2. Disconnect both tilt actuators.<br />3. Remove the 6 nuts on the drive.<br />4. Get help, its heavy, watch our back. Get a pan to catch oil from the bellow.<br />5. Pull the drive off.<br /><br />If you see oil, the seal is gone. You need to change the oil seal and o-rings.<br /><br />To change the seal, you will need wrench P/N 91-17256. Installation torque is 200 ft-lb, remember to compensate for the wrench. Don't forget the gasket kit.<br /><br />The yoke shaft that rides on the seal should be checked, if rusty needs to be changed, else will eat away the new seal in no time.<br /><br />While its out, check the u-joints, upper drive bearings, bellows, gimbal bearing, engine alignment. <br /><br />Good luck.

metwrench

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks so Much qystan and Mike for Responding. Great Run down qystan...Excellent, I will follow that procedure.<br /><br />Mike thanks for the Input and will be checking those Items also. I will post my results the end of this week 7/18/04