1993 Mariner 9.9 with oil coming out of exhaust port..

jon_boat

Cadet
Hey guys, I've got a 1993 Mariner 9.9hp outboard. I've recently worked on it and got it running today. It was running before I got it but the guy said that he had to keep the choke out to keep it running. I pulled the carb, cleaned it, replaced the float in the carb, cleaned all the fuel lines, pulled the plugs, cleaned them, replaced the lower unit oil, and ran fresh gas through it. It runs perfectly but I noticed that I had what looks like chocolate milk coming out the exhaust ports. Not alot but it is oozing out. I wouldn't think this is normal and just trying to figure out why its happening. Something looking like chocolate milk is usually a sign of water and oil mixed. Could I have put too much lower unit oil in it? Is this something that will clear up after running a bit? The outboard only sat for the winter. Any help is appreciated.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1993 Mariner 9.9 with oil coming out of exhaust port..

a little is normal after trolling for hours but you say you replaced the float ? did you measure the float height before you put the carb back together ? a new float will likely need to be adjusted so as to shut off fuel when the bowl is full .

jon_boat

Cadet

a little is normal after trolling for hours but you say you replaced the float ? did you measure the float height before you put the carb back together ? a new float will likely need to be adjusted so as to shut off fuel when the bowl is full .

Well, I only had it running for about 5 min when it starting oozing. And I had the float installed buy a professional. I've never messed with outboards before so I just sent the carb to a dealer and they took care of it for me. Like I said, it runs like a champ, I was just concerning about the oil in the exhaust.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

in that case give it a run or 2 - could just be plugged up from the previous condition of the carb - put some fuel system cleaner in the tank - if the chocolate milk persists - try adjusting the idle mix screw first -you never know - previous owner may have fiddled with it in attempt to correct the problem .

jon_boat

Cadet

Alright, I plan to take it out next weekend and I'll see what it does. I have some Sea Foam, would that be good to help clean the fuel system?

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

seafoam is perfect .