1993 Johnson 9.9 hp - Water Pump telltale not working

svenr

Cadet
Bought the engine at the beginning of last season for a good price. It was used in saltwater, but supposedly flushed out routinely.<br /><br />Upon purchase I changed the lower unit oil, and rebuilt the water pump, and adjusted the shift detents so it shifts smoothly.<br /><br />Used it about 15 times, and everything worked great. The water pump telltale sprayed a steady stream of water all season long. No problems.<br /><br />I winterized it with Johnson winterizing / fogging oil according to manual (I have shop manual). Changed spark plugs.<br /><br />Just started the engine up on Saturday with muffs, and the tell-tale is dripping, not spraying. Water tested it CAREFULLY, and the dripping became slower. The engine block did NOT get hot to the touch though.<br /><br />I pulled the telltale hose off of the 90 deg connector on the engine, no improvements in flow. <br /><br />What could be wrong? Could the passages in the engine be clogged (with salt crystals). Is my water pump toasted? <br /><br />I have seen a method to clean the engine passages with CLR or Salt-Away, might that solve my problem? Any ideas?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 Johnson 9.9 hp - Water Pump telltale not working

Welcome svenr!<br /><br />If you can get a hold of a compressed air hose, blow back thru the elbow. Sometimes dirt, debris can get trapped there. Blow back seems to work well.<br /><br />EDIT: Hit the wrong button.....anyways, if the blow back doesnt' work and you feel it may be salt build up (wouldn't think) try some Salt-Away. Follow the direction on the container.

svenr

Cadet

Thanks for the idea. I will try the compressed air when I have a chance. Where will the dislodged material go?<br /><br />I was just thinking it might be salt crystals, since when i did the water pump and dropped the lower unit I found some in the empty cavity in the extension (long shaft). I thoroughly cleaned it out then, but it makes me think there may be more salt I couldn't clean out in the water passages.<br /><br />Can I get Salt-Away from my local dealer, or is CLR an OK alternative? I already have CLR at home.

16odaycapri

Cadet

If blowing back thru it and the salt terminator doent work then it probably is "grommititis"<br />There is a rubber grommit at the top of the water tube underneath the powerhead that swells up after awhile, you see it alot in salt water motors. You have to remove the powerhead to replace it. About 2-4 hours of labor for a 1.50 part.

svenr

Cadet

I am going to try the compressed air tomorrow as the weather should be nice and I have to work outside.<br /><br />Anyway I noticed the rubber grommit when I did the water pump. I didn't have a replacement, so I reused the one I had as it looked to be in OK condition. It was not my first choice as it was not completely soft like new rubber. It may have dried out in the off season.<br /><br />Thanks for the tip.

svenr

Cadet

I blew compressed air through elbow for the telltale . Started the engine up, and low and behold, the telltale is now working fine. The engine block appears to stay cool as well, so I think we have a problem solved.<br /><br />One last question. If the telltale is working is that a guarantee that water is also running through the block?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The tell tale is just telling you that water is getting to the block. If the block is staying at normal arunning temp and you see some misty spray at the exhaust relief ports, then it would appear the cooling system is running OK.

svenr

Cadet

The block stays cool when running, and there is definetly a misty spray coming from the exaust relief port. Thanks for the info!