1993 Johnson 150 will not rev pass 2.5k

whiteghost06

Cadet
My 1993 Johnson 150 (J150EXETG) will not rev pass 2.5k and I've hit a wall and can't think of what else to do to fix this problem. Here's the back story took the boat out last time and she ran great as she always has in the pass not a single problem went to take it out again the following weekend and as alway before taking it out I do a little prior inspection and found that 2 of the carb bowls were leaking so just went ahead and order all of them and replace them all so I didn't have to deal with them come to find out they were all pretty warped so change them all out started the boat no leaks so that following weekend too the boat out put it in the water and it barely wanted to idle so went to leave to ramp and could not get it to go pass 2.5k so put it back in the trailer and headed home to were I'm at no here's a list of thing that I replace and check and the problem still there

New power pack
New optical sensor
New plug and wires
New stator
New fuel water separator
New fuel filter at motor
Coil packs tested out OK
Diode tested out OK
Shift interrupter switch it's working when it should I can press it and you can hear the engine drop the 3 cylinders
Tested temperature sensor by putting them in hot oil and they open and close at the correct temperature
Tried pushing the key in while revung it and it bugs down
Tried pumping the bulb no change in anything
Compression is 90psi on 5 of the cylinders and 100psi on 1
Ran motor of a 5 gallon jug to make sure it was not anti siphon problem but no change
Flywheel magnets are all there and not broken

I've hit a wall I do have a service manual for the engine but I've check everything that could cause this issue .motor idles very good till you go to wot then I'll hit 3k and back it self down to 2.5k could the motor lose timing just out the blue? any help is appreciated thanks

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Is it hitting the rev limiter as in s.l.o.w. mode?

I would tend to think that you missed something when you put all the carb bowls on if thats the only thing you changed before experiencing the issue.

whiteghost06

Cadet
Is it hitting the rev limiter as in s.l.o.w. mode?

I would tend to think that you missed something when you put all the carb bowls on if thats the only thing you changed before experiencing the issue.

No it won't go pass 3k at all it hits 3k then slows down to 2.5k by it self as far as the bowls only thing I change was the bowl it self and the gasket and the drain bolt the weird part is it run great at idle and at 2.5 and doesn't shake or anything just won't Rev past that all the carbs are fully open as well

daselbee

Commander
Did you move the HS jets from the old bowl to the new? You don't say you ever did that.

whiteghost06

Cadet
No main jets.....Woohoo!:watermelon:

You sir are awsome that was it if you were around i would shake your hand I've been beating my head for the last 3 weeks.
so for future notice if your having this problem it was the main jets that are in the bowls behind the drain plug that I never transfer over when I put the new bowls on so freaking happy right now lol thank you everyone for your help

daselbee

Commander
Good to go. Way, way rich at speeds above 2500....bogging it out. Hey, at least you didn't have any possibility at all of burning a piston down...