1993 Johnson 150 - First VRO, questions

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello Guys,
I recently purchased a 93 Johnson 150 and had to rebuild the VRO2 to get her on the water. Having completed that project and getting the boat running, but now that I have had her on the water I have a concern.

The symptom is that the horn honks at startup (expected I think), and then beeps every 40 seconds.

According to both the service manual and HighTrims update in
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=228679

This is because the Oil Pump is less than 1/4 full.

When I was first debugging I didnt give this much thought, and I am sure that is the case because at one point in debugging shorts I had cut the black and white wire to the Oil tank, and the beep every 40 seconds stopped. I thought I simply needed to add oil and I would be fine.

However, before the lake run on Sunday I put 1/2 a gallon of oil in the tank, and yet the beeping persists. Due to the horn being the best indicator of problems should I focus on the unit in the top of the Oil Container (probably called something like the sending unit) or something else (disconnecting the horn is not an option in my opinion)?

Also, does anyone have a tip on how to check the oil level in the Oil Tank? I am not seeing an easy way to do this, and as critical as oil is I am sure they would have given us some method for doing this (I am not trying to give OMC to much credit, but I can check oil in cars/trucks/lawnmowers, why not a boat).

I also have a series of very rookie questions. should I open a separate post for these or just stream them in this thread. For example:
- best startup procedures
- what is this 'dohickie' type questions
- and so forth. real basic stuff.

Sorry to be asking such a rookie question.
Roy

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1993 Johnson 150 - First VRO, questions

Hello Guys,

Also, does anyone have a tip on how to check the oil level in the Oil Tank? I am not seeing an easy way to do this, and as critical as oil is I am sure they would have given us some method for doing this (I am not trying to give OMC to much credit, but I can check oil in cars/trucks/lawnmowers, why not a boat).
I have an electronic oil level gauge at the helm on mine.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just looking at the oil tank periodically should be a good guide. Making sure that the level is going down should be another. Keeping it full really makes sense. If in doubt whether it is working then premix as well till you know. If it remains a huge issue then disconnect and premix.

spencroy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the keep it full tip Ken :)

The problem is the unit is black and the level cant be seen, I also do not have a gague on the dash like dingbat's boat. I will try to figure out a better method I guess of discovering the level of this tank.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Stick a stick into the oil tank and note the oil level. That motor should run at about 60::1, so you can predict how much oil you should use. Fill it up initially and add a gallon after each 60 gal of gasoline you put in.

Personally, I would get an OMC service manual, and go thru the alarms and assure that work properly. I would run a tank of premix during all the testing, until I am sure the VRO is working.

James R

Commander

You are correct. Alarm at 40 secs interval says low oil level. Most likely the level switch in the tank.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Seems strange to have a none see through oil tank !!! How did anyone come up with that one !!!
Using the dipstick method as suggested above is a great idea.

jonesg

Admiral

Top of oil tank is black plastic but the tank itself should be transluscent, maybe it needs a good wash inside and out. and fix the level sensor.
I buy a gallon and pour it all in, no adding it in dribs and drops. Keep a spare qt handy.

The system is critical, maintain it or toss it.!

There was a post here last week where a guy had half a tank of water with a bit of oil on top, ran the engine thinking it was all oil and killed it.

New to you and having problems already I would empty it out and take it apart, get it clean and working right .;)