1993 Grew Mercruiser 888

Wabasto

Recruit
Hello everyone. Our family has inherited an old Grew 215 with a Mercruiser888. The boat was hardly used when bought new. its been in a terrible storage area ( barn) since 1980. We towed it home several years ago and built a fairly good frame over it and several tarps. My father in-law (owner) discovered about 15 years ago that raccoons had gotten into the boat and completely destroyed the interior. No family members had any interest in it but we didn’t know what we could do with the old classic.
This past August it was decided by everyone that I should try to get it running and see what she needed to maybe put her back in service. The outlook was not very good.
I have actually spent way too much time on her but family thinks it’s going to be wort it? I want to show you all what I have had to deal with.
Btw. I am a automotive mechanic and heavy equipment mechanic. I have owned a few boats myself and I was out in this Grew in the summer of 1980. What a shame this happened. The fat in law took the fuel tank out and said it was leaking and I don’t think he had any intention of ever using this boat again??? He complained the boat was too hard on fuel (he would never get it up on plane lol). I said to put the hammer down and pull it back after she gets out of the water. Needless to say I never went out with him again. He also didn’t like the way it went into reverse. Said it makes funny noises in reverse when he cranked the steering to the end of the travel. It’s like he was looking for a reason to condemn her. Blah blah blah. Sorry for the long blurb.

Attachments

• F8A32DB5-F756-4322-8B5C-12C1D23DB77F.jpeg
    F8A32DB5-F756-4322-8B5C-12C1D23DB77F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 132F0DA4-DFFF-47EC-B2CA-E42CF2A7B43A.jpeg
    132F0DA4-DFFF-47EC-B2CA-E42CF2A7B43A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 19B6BC84-DEA0-4C47-84D1-2614DE7118DE.jpeg
    19B6BC84-DEA0-4C47-84D1-2614DE7118DE.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17
  • BCD7A060-1728-41EA-BE5C-371A19FFCD7A.jpeg
    BCD7A060-1728-41EA-BE5C-371A19FFCD7A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
Boat is trash, sell parts if there are any worth anything, then haul rest off to the dump

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It will cost you over $7000-$8000 and a year of your weekends to get that boat safe and running.

That is $3500 for the hull, $1500 for the interior, $2000 with of motor/drive/rigging with and a bit for the misc.

It would be best to simply scrap and spend $8000 on a down payment of a boat you can use immediately

Wabasto

Recruit
Thanks for your comments but it’s a nostalgic heirloom to the Poa’s. Sounds crazy I agree with you guys. But I put a starter and solenoid along with an ignition switch and I got it fired up lol. It has low hours and they think it’s a diamond in the rough.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I agree completely with those who have already commented. Being a mechanic you know that engine is going to need a lot more, a big lot more than the couple parts you replaced. And the outdrive unit will be another whole giant problem and expense. But even worse than the engine and out drive is the hull. The hull is beyond repair, likely rotten to the core, it is irredeemable. You’ll spend a year and thousands and it will still be junk.

roffey

Commander
On the positive side you know it holds water so likely wont leak. When I was younger back at my parents cottage the people across the lake had a Grew. The boat was fast and handled like it was on rails.

It looks in bad shape, it will be interesting to see what you can do with it?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Thanks for your comments but it’s a nostalgic heirloom to the Poa’s. Sounds crazy I agree with you guys. But I put a starter and solenoid along with an ignition switch and I got it fired up lol. It has low hours and they think it’s a diamond in the rough.
They got the rough part right. You have a swimming pool in the ski locker. Your transom and stringers are shot. The engine is the least of your worries. Outside of the motor, you're in it for $5k in materials alone. Unless you are dead broke (in which case you'll be tempted to half ass everything), have nothing else whatsoever to do with your time for the next year, and really enjoy glass work... Pass, and let them do it. Tell them you'll handle the engine once the hull and interior are repaired. I have no problems with mechanical repairs, but I really didnt enjoy the time and effort involved in doing my floor and interior