1993 Evinrude Lower Unit How bad is it?

silentwatch

Cadet
So I discovered that my lower is locked up on VE50TLETF Evinrude 50HP. It was working but had a high pitch intermittent whine. The motor had stalled and would restart and run but never full power. Found choke housing cracked and replaced. Attempted to restart but foot is froze up. The shaft won't budge. What are the chances it is just the bearing where the shaft enters the foot? How do i take it apart and what tools do I need? If I buy a manual which one do you guys suggest?
Would I be better off trying to locate a used foot? IMG_0726.jpgIMG_0725.jpg

Re: 1993 Evinrude Lower Unit How bad is it?

If I buy a manual which one do you guys suggest?

A real live genuine Johnson/Evinrude shop manual. The others suck. There's a company (I can't remember the name, someone on here will) that sells reprints but they're a little pricey. You can often find manuals on ebay.

Would I be better off trying to locate a used foot?

Probably. You can usually find a serviceable one at a pretty reasonable price, and In the great scheme of things it's a hell of a lot less work than taking one apart.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Google Ken Cook, they sell factory reprint manuals.
Look at the top of the page in the "Top Secret File" sticky, there is a list of salvage yards there, maybe one of them can help you out.

silentwatch

Cadet

Thanks allot guys. I really appreaciate the information. I found a complete Evinrude 50 but it is a 1986 model. I just went to Evinrude's site and looked up the part numbers for my lower gears and case and then for the 1986 model. The numbers are different so I guess that means the foot of the 1986 wouldn't fit my 1993 right?