1993 40hp Johnson Starts for about 60 seconds and shuts off

BlueAro

Cadet
Good morning and thank you for any assistance that you may offer.

I have a Tracker Bass Pro 17 with a 40hp Outboard Johnson motor. I have replaced the fuel line, fuel filter, sparkplugs, and solenoid. This boat hadn't been run for over a year before I got it but supposedly it was doing the same thing back then. They said they had gotten it fix but didn't know what the mechanic had done.

I have also replaced the fuel and oil with new fuel and oil.

Any suggestions or things to look at would be greatly appreciated. Dying to go fishing but not that crazy about having to paddle up the creek. :)

Edit: I have tried starting it and while it is running then I give it some power in neutral and it will pick up on power and then shut off.

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
will it keep runing if you keep pumping the fuel bulb ?? if so check for a faulty fuel pump.
was the carb serviced..?? post your 40hp model# ..!
fuel vent opn on the tank ??... try removing the fuel cap on the tank if ok bad fuel tank venting.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it has VRO in service it might not be a good idea to keep it running with the manual fuel pump. ----

BlueAro

Cadet
Model #J40TLEGD (I can't tell if its supposed to be a G or something else)
1. No clue when the carb was serviced.
2. Does not appear to continue running even if I pump fuel.
3. Removed the vent cap but does the same.

Thank you for your assistance.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
parts place does not seem to list a J40TLEGD ??? can u recheck mdl #

if old style carbs ... easy to clean

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Likely a C and not a G in my opinion.-----A 93 would be an ET in the model #

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
sounds like a carb issue (needs cleaning), but could be overheating. Too hot to touch (top of head) is too hot to run.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about a power pack? I don't know much about the motor but my motor was doing that a couple years ago and that's what it was. It just sounds familiar.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
when it does die on you after 60 sec. check the plugs for sparks if OK then the issue is feeding fuel into the cyl. ..... and that is likley a carb issue but anything between the tank and the cylinders is a suspect.

if you loose sparks then it is another issue to track down

IF THESE ARE YOUR CARBS ....
in theory since you have 2 carbs one should work unless they were both feed junk fuel ....check fuel delivery to the carbs if ok then at the very least and easy to do is to run a small mono line ( or FINE wire) in the HS orifice #19 and blow in some carb cleaner . Try to open up#18 1/4 turn see how the engine reacts

A complete carb service would be a good investment of your time.
1686139422341.png

Last edited:

BlueAro

Cadet
UPDATE:
I have replaced the fuel filter, and removed and cleaned the carbs.
When I start the engine with some power i Neutral it will start and idle for a minute or so, then whether I give it more gas or not it dies.

One thing that I did notice is that there is no water coming out of the back of the engine which I thought was supposed to. I out the engine in a large container with water to make sure that it had enough intake but still no water.

If the issue is the water pump, would that make the engine shut off?

ct1762@gmail.com

Master Chief Petty Officer
the synch n link procedure is very important for these motors! a 40hp usually likes right around 2.1 turns out from gently seated on the low speed needles. if the cam roller is either too far or too close (ie. jammed up against the throttle cam) it will cause running issues on the transition from neutral to fast idle. follow the factory service manual carefully for this procedure.

BlueAro

Cadet
when it does die on you after 60 sec. check the plugs for sparks if OK then the issue is feeding fuel into the cyl. ..... and that is likley a carb issue but anything between the tank and the cylinders is a suspect.

if you loose sparks then it is another issue to track down

IF THESE ARE YOUR CARBS ....
in theory since you have 2 carbs one should work unless they were both feed junk fuel ....check fuel delivery to the carbs if ok then at the very least and easy to do is to run a small mono line ( or FINE wire) in the HS orifice #19 and blow in some carb cleaner . Try to open up#18 1/4 turn see how the engine reacts

A complete carb service would be a good investment of your time.
View attachment 380895
Sorry for the ignorance, but once it dies it wouldn't have any spark, would it? I thought the spark was only while the engine was turning and the key was turned to the on position.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But you need to determine if there is no spark or if it ran out of fuel.-----Nobody can do the simple testing for you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
After you motor has stopped you need to remove cowling.-----Remove sparkplugs.----Install a spark test device.-----Crank it over and see if there is spark.-----I suggest you rush to a repair shop.-----I am not interested in providing more input on this topic.

BlueAro

Cadet
After you motor has stopped you need to remove cowling.-----Remove sparkplugs.----Install a spark test device.-----Crank it over and see if there is spark.-----I suggest you rush to a repair shop.-----I am not interested in providing more input on this topic.
I suggest you rush to a tea shop. I hear chai tea is great at reducing blood pressure. You may also want to stop responding and let someone that knows help me out if they want.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not many folks are going to respond to this topic.----I suggest they close this thread !!

BlueAro

Cadet
Not many folks are going to respond to this topic.----I suggest they close this thread !!
There have actually been a few responses, and many are very knowledgeable. None of your responses; however, were insightful at all and not very tolerant of a newbie wanting to learn.

Thank you though for taking time out of your busy day to post a reply. Hope you have an amazing day.