1993 4.3 merc has a serpentine pump getting HOT!!!

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if i'm standing in the boat looking down at the motor on the serpentine delt drive; right side, bottom there is a pump of some sort that is getting really hot and real quick like too

yes the muffs are on and pumping hard!

noticed it getting hot so i shut it down quickly

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1993 4.3 merc has a serpentine pump getting HOT!!!

if i'm standing in the boat looking down at the motor on the serpentine delt drive; right side, bottom there is a pump of some sort that is getting really hot and real quick like too

yes the muffs are on and pumping hard!

noticed it getting hot so i shut it down quickly

Ayuh,... If yer talkin' 'bout the lower portside corner,..??

That's the P/Steerin' pump....
Is it full of fluid,..??
Is it contaminated with water,..??

all duck'd up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no the power-steering pump is above it. the one im talking about has 2 hoses about a inch in diameter in the back

Bondo

Staff member

no the power-steering pump is above it. the one im talking about has 2 hoses about a inch in diameter in the back

Ayuh,... Then We'll need pictures, 'n/ or the serial numbers....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The only thing that is belt driven under the power steering pump is an alternator. If your battery is low and the alternator is on full charge they will get hot.

Need pictures.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If it has a serpentine belt, it ain't 1993! We didn't see serpentines until the gen+ engines, late '96. If there is a pump under the power steering pump, then it may be either a seawater pump for a Bravo drive or a seawater pump for a closed cooling system used in water over 26C. Either way we need serial number or photos, or both.... And the only reason one of those pumps gets hot is a lack of water. Does it have a thru hull water pickup? or a transom mounted water pickup?