1993 4.3 engine oil type

Jakem

Ensign
Posting for a friend who has purchased boat and need to know what engine type is best suited. Thanks

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Ok. I’ll bite, haha. The manual will state quicksilver 25w40. Should you want to go with that, I’d recommend you to get the synthetic blend version of the brand.
The reality is though, that many other people use this very engine in identical form, all but the badge, small tweak or sticker on top. These other brands of the gm will often state 15w40 or a few other close grades.
You’ll need at least 5 litres for the 4.3. Unfortunately and rather cunningly, the recommended quicksilver oil will come in a 4 litre or 1 litre tub, usually. Basically take your pick, but that’s the basics of it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dead dinosaurs or group IV PAO base oil derivative

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Interesting that synthetics are specifically not recommended. Wonder why? IIRC the old merc oils were synthetic instead of the current blend

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Interesting that synthetics are specifically not recommended. Wonder why? IIRC the old merc oils were synthetic instead of the current blend
Mercruiser doesn't have a clue. This is directly off the label on their own synth blend.

"Synthetic blend four stroke oil is for use in all four stroke outboard, stern drive and inboard marine engines. "

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think they have accepted a syn blend as the best for marine engines but not full syn.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
I've been using 100% synthetic oil in my last 3 Mercruisers over the last 20 years. 3.0L, 4.3L, and now a 5.7L absolutely zero issues.