1993 200 hp Johnson knocking

g_reaper3

Cadet
I have a 1993 200 hp Johnson on a 23' Proline that has about 400 hours on it. Over the weekend it developed two problems. Problem 1 occured after trolling for a couple hours at around 1100 rpm. When running in at full throttle (around 5000 rpm), engine lost speed (from say 40 to 35) for maybe 20 seconds and then back up to full. This happened a couple of times over the weekend after this as well. Problem 2 occured at the end of the trip. When running back to port on about a 15 mile run, a knocking sound was apparent only when running around 3500-4000 rpm. Running fullout it was fine although I did encounter problem 1 once during the run. The trip entailed about 25 hours of running time of which 23 hours was trolling. I had the VRO disconnected on this engine last year and mix oil at 50-1. Until this point the engine has had no problems. Engine was tuned up and lower unit lube replaced with synthetic last August. Any thoughts on next steps? I thought about doing a decarb and maybe running some carb cleaner through.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1993 200 hp Johnson knocking

sounds like two different problems, then again could be one.<br />For the speed loss, sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Make sure the gas tank is venting properly and the filters are clean.<br /><br />For the knocking<br />Pull the plugs first (keep track where they came from) and post their descriptions, this will help determine if you are running lean on a cylinder, this is where both problems could be related (clogged jet). <br />Otherwise a de-carb sounds like a good idea.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Check your lower unit oil too.

g_reaper3

Cadet

Just in case anyone is interested in the outcome, I tried the decarb which didnt help so I ended up taking it in given that I have a big fishing trip coming up and wanted to be sure. The mechanic (who is very knowledgeable) thought the speed loss was a fuel problem as kevin indicated above but couldnt get it to occur in the shop. He said maybe it was the fuel primer bulb as sometimes those can act up. The motor dynoed great with good compression (130-135) on all cylinders. I actually solved the knocking myself as right as I dropped the boat off I noticed that the thrust washer on the 2 piece prop (separate hub and propeller housing) could spin. Once the shop tightened this down, the knocking stopped. They also changed lower lube and plugs but said they looked pretty good. We will find out if this August 21 if they were right or not.