1993 175 HP Evinrude with VRO Pump Idle Problem

pasquale1968

Cadet
Having a problem with my outboard motor, i have checked all electrical components such as coil s regulator and found all to be in good condition, and recently replaced the head gasket o rings which were leaking,and seals for the thermostats i thought that when the tstat opened it was sending water down into the cylinder,,but i was wrong .........Here's the problem start the boat up and let it come up to idle temperature and it seems like its fine then all of a sudden it starts to rev up and out of control without me even touching the throttle i dont know what to make of it, if anyone has had a similar problem or has some type of knowledge on what could be wrong your advice would be greatly apreciated,,,,,,, the motor is a 1993 evinrude 175hpEXET with a vro system that has hard fuel rails.. Thanks Pat

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 175 HP Evinrude with VRO Pump Idle Problem

Throttle cable may need adjusting. Has anyone been working on the motor recently?

pasquale1968

Cadet
Re: 1993 175 HP Evinrude with VRO Pump Idle Problem

i checked the cables and even disconnected them and stated it and it did the same thing, if i leave it off for a minute or 2 and start it up it will idle fine and then do it all over again.. revs up to about 2500 rpms.. im thinking fuel pump... But thanks for the response its gr8tly apreciated