1992 XR6 150

BWR1953

Admiral
How do I get this connector off the throttle cables?

Attachments

• 20240602_122336.jpg
    20240602_122336.jpg
    1,007.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240602_122419.jpg
    20240602_122419.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, push it with a finger towards the front or back, I forget which way. It just clips on the bottom and pivots on top. It doesn't seem secure, but it is.

BWR1953

Admiral
Gee, push it with a finger towards the front or back, I forget which way. It just clips on the bottom and pivots on top. It doesn't seem secure, but it is.
Gee, I'd never seen one of those connectors in my 71 years of life. We didn't use them at NASA. :sneaky:

I figured it out though. It rotates clockwise vertically and popped right off. I'm not one to just force things to see what happens. Gee, thanks though.

BWR1953

Admiral
I'm currently in the process of pulling the engine from a dead hull. I have everything disconnected except one of the dual steering cables. Just can't seem to get the cable on the right (towards the bow) to engage the threads and actually turn.

Any magical moves to get it loose?

Attachments

• 20240602_142244a.jpg
    20240602_142244a.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 2

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Pipe wrench on tube, or just unbolt the front steering tube from the transom clamp. I use a single cable on my Speedboat with a V6.

Dukedog

Captain
tha two large nuts on tha tube on either side of tha bracket need ta be jammed as tight as you can get them up against tha bracket and each other.. with that done tha large nut on tha cable should come loose........................ if that doesn't work then tha pipe wrench (not recommended) will come to tha party..

BWR1953

Admiral
Pipe wrench on tube, or just unbolt the front steering tube from the transom clamp. I use a single cable on my Speedboat with a V6.
tha two large nuts on tha tube on either side of tha bracket need ta be jammed as tight as you can get them up against tha bracket and each other.. with that done tha large nut on tha cable should come loose........................ if that doesn't work then tha pipe wrench (not recommended) will come to tha party..
Thanks guys. My buddy came over last night and got the cable off for me. Yes, he used a big wrench to tighten the jam nuts. Then he turned the steering wheel hard over until it stripped the internals. After that, he used an angle grinder and cut it off.

Brute force. No problem! :ROFLMAO:

BWR1953

Admiral
And that last little tube was in fact just a water hose for the speedo.

Dukedog

Captain
Yup. He just cut the cable itself. The engine is being moved to another boat and I'll be switching to hydraulic steering then.
yeah, tha hyd. seems ta be tha thing now days................ i hated it when it first started circulating on tha hot rods.. jus seemed like it didn't keep ya in "touch" with what tha boat was doin'... but eventually got use to it.....

BWR1953

Admiral
I got the boat completely stripped yesterday and will be heading to the dump this morning. Cables and all! :LOL:

I've read a lot about hydraulic steering, but never experienced it myself. Still learning here. :cool:

BWR1953

Admiral
I went to my marine mechanic this morning and we talked about steering for the XR6 on my boat. The bottom line is that he recommended going hydraulic since I have to replace everything anyway.

He suggested Seastar, which is very expensive. I'm researching Uflex also, which seems to be about half the price of Seastar from what I've learned so far.

I'll stay away from Vevor unless I'm told otherwise. It's apparently a cheap Chinese knockoff. And the mechanic said that parts are not always available for the off-brand stuff.

With the XR6 on this boat, it's likely to hit 60MPH or even more. Gotta have the best that I can afford, which is definitely a limiting factor. :rolleyes:

BWR1953

Admiral
Ah'm agoin' with Uflex! :D

I read a lot and they're made in Sarasota, FL and get very good reviews. I actually called their customer service and got good info and great service from the rep.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I went to my marine mechanic this morning and we talked about steering for the XR6 on my boat. The bottom line is that he recommended going hydraulic since I have to replace everything anyway.

He suggested Seastar, which is very expensive. I'm researching Uflex also, which seems to be about half the price of Seastar from what I've learned so far.

I'll stay away from Vevor unless I'm told otherwise. It's apparently a cheap Chinese knockoff. And the mechanic said that parts are not always available for the off-brand stuff.

With the XR6 on this boat, it's likely to hit 60MPH or even more. Gotta have the best that I can afford, which is definitely a limiting factor. :rolleyes:
not had experience with hydraulic much but seastar is the one to go for. It was on my 34', 40 year old or so boat, called them they got me new seals and great help to do it all. It was a twin inboard rudder set up.