1992 Ranger 681 livewell problems

spankeriffic

Recruit
Wondering if anyone knows why the livwells fill when you put the boat in the water. What it designed this way and/or is there a way that they can be changed. The livewells have the cable design. Any help or direction would be of great help. Also they do not fill all the way you have to keep fillingthem during your fishing day. Thanks.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 Ranger 681 livewell problems

Wondering if anyone knows why the livwells fill when you put the boat in the water. What it designed this way and/or is there a way that they can be changed. The livewells have the cable design. Any help or direction would be of great help. Also they do not fill all the way you have to keep fillingthem during your fishing day. Thanks.

Did you put the plugs in? I have a 1990 680C and it has a lower hole for a drain (which needs to be plugged,) and and upper hole that is the overflow. My understanding is that you plug the lower hole, turn on the pumps and it will fill till it overflows out the upper hole. That's the basic operation of the "aeration" system.

If I leave the plugs out of the lower holes and the boat is in the water they partially fill when standing still. They'll drain when you start moving.

What's a cable design?

spankeriffic

Recruit

The cable design is that there is a fill and drain lever on the back of the boat behind the drivers seat. The best of my understanding is that if they are adjusted properly you shouldn't have to put plugs in them???? I thought about doing the plug thing but never tried it. The cable design opens the livewell when you drain the boat out of the water and it should close completely (I thought) when you are done draining. If anyone might know this answer any help would be wonderful..... Thanks.

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The cable control valves are standard for Rangers of this peroid. My 1995 livewell control lever has three positions. Rear position will allow complete draining, Mid-position will allow any water level to be held, and recirculated, in the livewell, and Forward position will allow full fill to overflow with the livewell pump.

When my boat is in the water, there has always been a couple of inches of water in the well because I keep the lever in the Rear position unless I catch fish. The livewell will not fill completely without the pump because it is mostly above the level of the outside water.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

The cable design is that there is a fill and drain lever on the back of the boat behind the drivers seat. The best of my understanding is that if they are adjusted properly you shouldn't have to put plugs in them???? I thought about doing the plug thing but never tried it. The cable design opens the livewell when you drain the boat out of the water and it should close completely (I thought) when you are done draining. If anyone might know this answer any help would be wonderful..... Thanks.

That's different from mine then. Sorry I couldn't help. Looks like Pops has it covered for ya. :)