1992 Mercury 175 Head Sensor Looks like PCV valve

reelmasta

Cadet
Ok so I just got done replacing a blown head gasket on my 1992 Merc 175. Found a Heli coil repair in one of the threads so this head has been off before.
After the task completed I found the vacuum valve with 1 vacuum line attached tucked up under the carbs on the starboard head.
I did not remove it when the head came off but it threads right inside the hole in the head.
The port head has a hole but has factory black on the threads so don't think there is supposed to be on that side.

It has 2 vacuum ports but only 1 attached that runs up the the top carb?

Does the other port have a hose attached and/or a destination?

Attachments

• 175 Head 2.jpg
    175 Head 2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 175 Head.jpg
    175 Head.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 814612 - Vacuum Valve.jpg
    814612 - Vacuum Valve.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Nope.....just line to carb as that restricts air to carbs. makes it riches at warmup

reelmasta

Cadet
Nope.....just line to carb as that restricts air to carbs. makes it riches at warmup
Thanks. I did some more research and found out helps with idling after warm up. The motor has been dying when warm and stalling when motor is pulled back in to neutral.
Could this also cause a 3000 rpm hesitation when the throttle is increased slowly. If I slam the throttle to wide open it runs right up to 5000 rpm. But if I increase slowly it hesitates around 3000 rpm.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Nope...what series carbs ya got? Do they have the accelerator pumps?