1992 M60b

cmclark

Cadet
Hello all,

I am new here and new to boating, so I have a couple of questions. I purchased a boat with a '92 tohatsu M60B on it. After replaceing the impeller I have found a couple of items I am unsure of.

First, it looks like the choke is not engaging at start up. How does this work with this motor? Is there a sensor to control the choke or is it manual? There is a solenoid present.

Consequently, I have had a bit of trouble getting the motor to run very well. It will not start until I manually choke it, then it will rev up and stall only a few seconds later. When I pull the plugs they are wet.

Second, the motor is supposed to be automixing, but the oil pump seems to be disabled. The line from the oil tank is connected to the oulet of the pump and the inlet to the pump has nothing attached. The fuel onbord is premix. I assume that the system quit working at some point and was bypassed instead of repaired. (Or was this some kind of factory option that was not purchased?) I would like to return the automix feature to working condition.

Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 1992 M60b

You have to push in the ket switch to use the choke. Next troubleshoot the engine to determine why you have wet plugs and why the engine stalls. You need a manual before you go any further.

cmclark

Cadet

I found that the motor was stalling due to a crack in the fuel line. I switched to the other tank and it runs great. I think I had wet plugs because I was trying to start the motor manually choked and I forgot to insert the kill switch. Doh!

I ordered the manual.

I will try the key switch. Do you mean the ignition key should be pushed upward to engage the choke?

Now if I could just figure out why the oil injection is disabled.

Thanks.

cmclark

Cadet

I say upward because the ignition switch is facing the deck, downward.