1992 Kawasaki TS 650 not getting fuel

Reorandy

Cadet
1992 Kawasaki TS 650 Engine SN- JF650 AE145207. Jet ski was in the water and cut out and quit. Seems to want to start, but doesn't. I narrowed it down to the carb. It is getting gas all the way into the carb, but something is happening between the carb and the plug, where gas is not getting through. I thought about taking off the flame arrestor and looking at the carb, but am not a very good mechanic. Thought the pros could give me some advice. Spark plug is dry when I take it out and it started right up for a few seconds with starting fluid shot into the carb. Any ideas what might be wrong? Does this model have a fuel pump? If so, where is it located? Thinking it may be shot. Ski has a mikuni carb, I believe.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1992 Kawasaki TS 650 not getting fuel

Put the starter fluid away and far from the ski. That will wreck a motor quick. Use 50:1 mix only to get it to fire.

Have you ever rebuilt the carb/?

Reorandy

Cadet

No, I have not ever rebuilt the carb. Got the ski used 3 years ago, put new gas in, splash of sea foam and it has run like a champ until now. Seems to be burning a lot more gas than usual though and has blue smoke coming out the back (burning oil).....It didnt start sputtering or anything, just quit all of a sudden. Isolated it to a "receiving fuel" issue...

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Before you do anything else...check the compression. A rebuilt motor for that ski is pretty cheap if you plan on keeping.