1992 johnson 3hp j3renm shifter bushing

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to remove and replace a "shifter" bushing which is located at the bottom of my shifter rod. It appears to be pressed in.
does anyone know how to remove it and do I just press it back in? Looks like there may be a o ring as well.
Replacing this component should help keep the gearcase water tight as well as new lip seals.

thanks

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1992 johnson 3hp j3renm shifter bushing

Ok, so no body else could/would answer this issue I'll answer it. I used a "easyout" and screwed it into the bushing using channel locks until the bushing acually started to turn. Then I started pulling and turning at the same time and the bushing popped out. Then I cleaned the pocket out, assembled a new o ring in the bottom of the new bushing and then used a brass punch to press it back in. Really was easy compared to removing some other parts.
Is there any special way to remove those drive shaft "lip seals"? especially the bottom one? There is two of them stacked on top of each other. Do they make a tool to remove these?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 johnson 3hp j3renm shifter bushing

I just picked up on this post and your easy out trick seemed to work. I've ran a tap in those bushings before and popped them out that way. OMC/BRP makes a special tool for pulling the d/s seals out but I don't think you'd want to buy it. Check with a parts house for a small seal puller or else take a dremel tool, split the seal and pop them out.