1992 Four Winns Freedom I/O having issues

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice
I own a 1992 Four Winns Freedom I/O with the OMC Cobra engine, 4.3 V6.

The boat will start up perfectly some of the time, others not. Or if we get it going and we have to turn it off because someone is about to wakeboard - it may not start up right away and we have to fuss with it for about 20 minutes before it will start up again. Sometimes we'll let the boat just sit for 10 minutes with the engine cover open and it will work, but sometimes this doesn't even work.

We have replaced the following:
  • Battery
  • Spark Plugs (Correctly Gapped)
  • Engine Oil (Not electrical, but worth mentioning)
  • Replaced the Coil (Non Marine, for a 4.8L V6 Truck)

We have cleaned the carb. We think it may be the *distributor* but I hope it isn't.. :( Is there anything else we should check before taking it to a professional? If it's simple enough, we'll go ahead and take care of it. If there is anything else helpful you'd like to know, please reply and I will be as detailed as possible.

*EDIT* -

More specifically, it's the module inside the distributor?
The initial starting of the boat for the day is perfect. Then we take of across the lake and it may or may not die when put in neutral. Usually starts back up a couple of times. Either it dies in neutral or after we have been tubing and we kill the engine it will not start back up. If you give it an hour it usually starts back up. Even tried running the blower while wakeboarding. Batteries and alternator seem to be just fine.

Sometimes it goes into neutral smoothly, other times there is some resistance.
Do you think anything is wrong with the shift linkage, cables, etc?

Last edited:

Coors

Captain
Re: 1992 Four Winns Freedom I/O having issues

Is the starter working? (turning the crank)
Do you have spark?
Do you have fuel going in the engine?

Modified

Seaman Apprentice

possibly the fuel pump?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

What is the choke doing when this happens?....
Welcome to iboats, btw.......:)

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice

Is the starter working? (turning the crank)
Do you have spark?
Do you have fuel going in the engine?

The starter works.

I assume we have spark..how would i check?

It is definitely getting fuel.

Coors

Captain

The experts will be in, but points or electronic ignition?

Coors

Captain

And, when you say fuss with it, what are you doing?

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice

And, when you say fuss with it, what are you doing?

Turning the key in the ignition.. with it choked in reverse. Sometimes it starts easier this way. Sometimes we'll take off the ignition wires and plug them back in.

Coors

Captain

Does a 92 use an esa switch?

Coors

Captain

I don't have them book-marked, but got to top, and search; 1992 esa;

Coors

Captain

and Don S has a sticky in here, to check ignition, and another for fuel..

Dakota47

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe the shift cable is out of adjustment, making the neutral saftey switch not work properly. thats how my 4.3 cobra acted before i changed lower shift cable(mine was the old black one)

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

The shift cable has nothing to do with the neutral safety switch. That switch is in the gearshift/throttle control and prevents you from cranking the engine unless it's in neutral. Is this a 2 bbl carb or 4 bbl? The 2 bbl has electronic ignition still with an ESA, the 4 bbl has the infamous Spitfire ignition box that has built in ESA.

gooders

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello Il ike you am new to the boating world. I like you, have a Four Winns only mine is a few yearsolder.I am not going to tell you what the problem is, but these guys are experts, to say the least. All I would say is this.I had a problem which I aksed about on the forum, The advice I received was good and I cannot thank the guys on the forum enough.However, I tried to put something right myself, I had a problem with the engine. Due to my being , as I say new to the boat world, my DIY efforts will now cost me a new engine. Please listen to these guys take the advice, BUT please , please, get the boat looked at by a professional.I wish I had.
Welcome to the forum.:redface:

KevOLikesBoating

Seaman Apprentice

The shift cable has nothing to do with the neutral safety switch. That switch is in the gearshift/throttle control and prevents you from cranking the engine unless it's in neutral. Is this a 2 bbl carb or 4 bbl? The 2 bbl has electronic ignition still with an ESA, the 4 bbl has the infamous Spitfire ignition box that has built in ESA.

I'm 98% sure it's a a 4 bbl carb, I'd go outside and take a look to be 100% sure but the boat is 45 minutes away. I do want to get the shift cable looked at though or readjusted because it does not go into gear smoothly.

So what do you think Boatin Bob? Looks like we're gonna have to take it in.. I'm praying I don't have to buy a new carb..

pra100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does it have Spitfire ignition as Bob said.If it has a 4 bbl. it does.The breather,carb.cover will say Spitfire on it.Another thing that will tell you if it is a Cobra Spitfire is all the plug wires will plug onto a big black rectangular coil on a plate at the back of engine.The reason I ask all of these things about this ignition is I have one.I experienced the same problems with mine,it was a Spitfire.I fought with it for 3 years doing what you are saying.I do not want to lead you the wrong way if it is not but if it is I can give you some ideas.