1992 Four Winns 5.8 No Start

Retired SFC

Cadet
I have a 92 Four Winns 225 Sundowner with a Ford 5.8 King Cobra. A previous owner sometime back bypassed the Spitfire ignition module and replaced distributer with a Mallory with the electronic ignition in the distributer. Here is my issue: When I turn the key the motor cracks over and catches and I release to run position it dies. I ran a jumper from the battery positive to the coil and it starts right up, so it has something to do with the run position at the key not sending a voltage (I have checked the voltage at the switch (new) and it is zero) through the solenoid s terminal to the coil.

Just last week a buddy and I were adjusting the shift linkage because I installed a new shifter. It was starting and running as it should. The next day I went to diagnose why the tach was not working. It would not start. It would catch and then die, no power in the run position. Anybody have an idea as to what I need to look for, and after that how to diagnose my tach.

When the weather clears here in Cincinnati I'll attach a couple pics of what a pervious owner did to wire up the ignition.

Andy

cyclops222

Ensign
Unplug and reconnect several times. The big multi pin connector on top of the engine. Classic symptom.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
No power in the run position is usually a bad key switch

New does not equal good

alldodge

Staff member
Anybody have an idea as to what I need to look for, and after that how to diagnose my tach.
Having problems with the tach can also cause a no-start
Disconnect the tach from the negative side of the coil and see if it will start

cyclops222

Ensign
Deleted this sentence.
Really bad news about that year engine....Found a seeming experienced person writing it up in I BOATS. March of 2011. Spoke about changing everything. Including the distributor.

Last edited: