1992 evinrude 120hp 2.0L Looper......transplant??

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I have a 1990 bayliner capri 18ft with a 90hp force motor. Ive been looking over the last few years at various motor swaps. I have come across a 1992 evinrude 2.0L looper that is at a pretty attractive price and somewhat local. Im curious if this is a good motor? is it strong? here is what the seller sent me:

"~~This is the commercial loop charged 2.0Ltr V-4 that is designated 120HP but is much more like 140-150HP. OMC originally made these type engines for off shore industrial use as a V-8 300HP. They were so successful they made this V-4 version for additional markets. It is not at all like the 115-125-135-140 V-4's that you normally see. Everything inside is heavier duty and simpler. It has a complete new ignition system = 4 coils, stator, trigger module, and power pack over $600 in parts. I intended on keeping the motor indefinitely and replaced all of this when one coil failed a year ago.

When outboard DIY kits for Perfect Pass speed control became available a year or so ago I found out this motor isn't eligible. The only reason I'm selling is I want speed control for trick skiing at 18mph +/- .2mph
I am buying another Evinrude and all of the controls are built in to the boat so the controls don't go with it but they are among the most common controls to find in the world. You always have to get your own cables to fit your length of boat anyway. I may still have the original control box and some other stuff which will all go along with it.

It pulls 5 adults out of deep water on two skis, pulls two adults barefoot, runs an 18' Hydrodyne 45mph-50mph.~~"

It does not come with controls but im very mechanically inclined, is it possible to adapt my current controls? Am I looking at a huge hassle to get this motor setup? Any help/ advice would be much appreciated. THANKS -MATT

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model#: J120TLEND ~~I know this probably doesn't help, but here are the pics on the sellers ad...
00M0M_cSaKCffl1Qw_600x450_zpsdb0ea148.jpg

01616_5eCOVbBrjLG_600x450_zpsb40b19f0.jpg

00I0I_jj8YMHOjc4b_600x450_zpse139bafd.jpg

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
"It pulls 5 adults out of deep water on two skis, pulls two adults barefoot, runs an 18' Hydrodyne 45mph-50mph."

I doubt it with the same pitch prop!!!!
"~~This is the commercial loop charged 2.0Ltr V-4 that is designated 120HP but is much more like 140-150HP"
Misinformed as it 118-122 hp at prop and maybe 125-130hp at crank.......
"Everything inside is heavier duty and simpler"
Same parts as V-6 just less 2 pistons.....
""~~This is the commercial loop charged 2.0Ltr V-4 that is designated 120HP but is much more like 140-150HP. OMC originally made these type engines for off shore industrial use as a V-8 300HP. They were so successful they made this V-4 version for additional markets."
Googled bad info or was misinformed himself........
Its a good engine,not to bad on gas but

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
This looks like a normal consumer engine. I'd be wary if it was actually a "commercial" version or not. The commercial engines used a different gearcase with lower ratio gearsets, for pushing barges. While a commercial engine may work in a consumer environment, it will require special prop pitches in order to perform the way you want it to. Again, it does not look like a commercial engine, but, it's worth checking out. These engines were solid engines, just heavy for the hp they make. They weigh about 6 lbs less than a 175 crossflow V6.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Due to what I read here, and the lack of correct info or ignorance of the seller... im gonna pass. With the cost of the engine and coming with no controls.... eh pass. Thanks for the assistance guys!!! :)