1992 Bayliner Trophy 120hp Force outboard

big o

Recruit
I'm seriously looking into purchasing this boat; however people I have talked to say that motor could be problems...Have you heard of any problems with this motor???Thanks <br /><br />------------------

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1992 Bayliner Trophy 120hp Force outboard

Hi Bigo,<br />Do a compression test,they should be even.<br />Run it with hood off to see if it clatters,thats bad. The motors can't take being over heated. They break rings once in a while,usually because they were run hot.<br />As a every day motor they might wear out sooner,but ocasional use they should be ok if<br />the motor is ok to start with .See if you can take it to a Marina to get it checked out. Have the owner write out a 30 day warranty for parts and labor. That will tell you if he trusts the motor. There are thousands of them running fine out there. Is the price right?<br />...have fun...corm

big o

Recruit

Originally posted by corm:<br />Hi Bigo,<br />Do a compression test,they should be even.<br />Run it with hood off to see if it clatters,thats bad. The motors can't take being over heated. They break rings once in a while,usually because they were run hot.<br />As a every day motor they might wear out sooner,but ocasional use they should be ok if<br />the motor is ok to start with .See if you can take it to a Marina to get it checked out. Have the owner write out a 30 day warranty for parts and labor. That will tell you if he trusts the motor. There are thousands of them running fine out there. Is the price right?<br />...have fun...corm

big o

Recruit

Hi Corm<br /> Thanks for the info I'll try that...The people I talk to about Force motors either love them or hate them...If things don't workout I'll keep looking..Thanks again big o