1992 90hp johnson outboard....trouble starting

instantheet

Cadet
Hi iboaters...
im new to the site an think its a great place to obtain knowledge an get good info on all types of boating topics.....my problem is i have a 1992 v4...90hp johnson outboard runs great my only problem is once i start it up from a cold start an run it for a while an it sit's for a while it is extremly hard to restart i have to keep cranking but after it sits for awhile its good to go for the rest of the day.......my biggest problem is once it warms up an i stop for awhile for the first time its hard to restart....it starts back up but only after sitting for awhile... need help any suggestions iboaters.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 90hp johnson outboard....trouble starting

A couple of things to check. After it sits for a while and is hard to start, try priming the fuel hose bulb again. See if that make a difference. Possible some fuel may be draining back into the tank, emptying the line-making it hard to start. When it's been run and is hard to start, pull out one or two spark plugs and do a visual inspection. See if they are wet or dry. If wet, they are getting fuel. If dry, they are not getting fuel. That tells you something. Also possible that the engine is flooding. If the carb floats are not set correctly, they may be letting too much fuel in the carbs. If you tilt the engine at all (while fishing on the trolling motor) the carbs can leak excess fuel out the front of the carb into the airbox. When the engine is trimmed back down for starting again, that excess fuel can get recirulated into #4 cyl-making it hard to start.

instantheet

Cadet
Re: 1992 90hp johnson outboard....trouble starting

thank you emdsapmgr...... that bit of info was help full i am planning on taking the family out for some fun in the sun this weekend an i will try everything you just posted an i'll let you know what happen....once agian thanks happy boating.