1992 90HP Evinrude

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 1992 90HP Evinrude and I seem to be having a problem. When I put it in the water and put it in gear it will run for a second then stalls out. The only way I can stop it from stalling is to take the top off of the motor. It runs fine after I do this but the second I put the top back on it stalls again. Could there be a problem with it getting air? Someone told me it could be a busted seal around the exhaust or something of that nature. Any help would be appreciated. If you know the problem could you please give me a price estimate to have it fixed? Thanks

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1992 90HP Evinrude

Also I believe this motor is supposed to have a VRO on it. Where is that located? Doesn't that mean it has to have an oil tank somewhere? I have not been able to locate an oil tank so I believe that the VRO has been removed. How can I be sure? If the VRO is gone what what is the best fuel mix? I know these are amateur questions but I am new to owning a boat.

Last edited:

BradJFelix

Cadet

I have the same exact problem with my engine right now but I can see the leak from the power head to the exhaust. JB helped me with my diagnosis and it makes perfect sense with the cowl on the exhaust it leaking into up inside the engine area. The engine is trying to suck in clean air but instead its getting the exhaust from the leak and its starving the engine. Mine is a 1977 70hp and without the cover on and fresh air it feels like it goes 90mph in reality its only 35 but you know what I am saying. Look for the water leak and go after the correct seal. I am going to work on mine today I will let you know how it goes. Also as far as oil goes I am running 50:1 mine says its a VRO but who knows if the cover is original I do know that there is no other source of oil for it. Hope some of this helps.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

50 -1 if no oil tank. and it only has one line running to it. the vro has been disabled.

BradJFelix

Cadet

OK so I got extremely lucky with my exhaust problem. When I took the outside cover off the little horse shoe shaped cover, the bolts that attach to the power head were all lose. I tightened them back up threw it back in the water put the cowl and the boat flew again probably only 35mph but still it feels fast in comparison to what it was. I hope you get as lucky as I do. However it does validate the whole exhaust leaking into the engine and starving it from fresh air. Not that I had any doubts because a lot of these people are pretty smart or have had the same problem I have and know from personal experience. Anyway I hope you find your problem and I hope its as easy as mine.

wrosales

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the help. I inspected the engine and the previous owner did in fact remove the VRO. I hope that I will be able to fix this, but again thanks for the help.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to post in this thread because the motor that is currently on my boat is a 1992 90 hp evinrude, and the motor that blew up on me and I replaced 2 years ago, was a 1977 70 hp evinrude.

found that co-incidental

Benny1963

Lieutenant

could be powerhead to base gasket letting exhaust fumes.into the cover
smothering your fresh air .
goodluck