1992 70hp tilted up ( force )

willymaze1

Cadet
Has one cylinder power tilt and trim I tilted the motor up and now it wont go down. I switched the 2 relays around and it made no differance. It does not even make noise like it is trying to lower. Any help would be gratefull.<br /><br />Thanks willy

cinder1995

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1992 70hp tilted up ( force )

Check the brushes inside the motor itself and/or sand the part of the armature where they make contact. This has worked for me several times.

willymaze1

Cadet

after reading past post i went out to the lake today and mine is a 2 wire. When I put power to them it would go up with the ground and power one way then when it would go down when i reversed the wires. It then worked for a couple of times up and down then it stopped again. Switch? if i by pass the harnes and hook it up direct will this work?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Don't know how you are planning on hooking it up direct. You are going to have to almost duplicate the wiring you now have, so that the polarity can be reversed to raise and lower. <br /><br />I'd try replacing the switch in the controls/throttle handle first.

willymaze1

Cadet

This is on a pontoon so I was thinking i could have 2 switches one for ( up, off ) and one for ( down, off ) since I dont have to worry about triming the motor to plane only when i am in the shallows. If not I will try and order a new switch.<br />Thanks for the replys Its nice to have a place to go and get so much good advise from people that has dealt with the same problems.<br /><br /><br />Thanks Willy

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

Willy,<br />The electrical circuit on those is very simple. Start from the terminal strip on the LH side of the engine and check ALL the wires for the tilt / trim. You can bridge to both circuits using a jumper wire.<br />If the trim motor works in both directions then your problem is further forward.<br />If you have a US Marine remote control then I think from memory there is another multi term strip inside there which is accessed from the back cover on the remote unit. Again check for current at that point and or using a jumper wire see if you can get the motor to cycle.<br />It is poss that the switch in the handle that has failed or a broken wire causing the problem.<br />Anyway if you want to replace the switch use 1 sealed (waterproof) 3 position toggle switch of the "centre OFF, momentary ON" type that returns to centre as soon as you release the pressure on the switch.<br /> :) :) <br /><br />Peter

willymaze1

Cadet

Peterf,<br />Thanks I will check that out this weekend as long as its not raining. I will post the results.