1992 3.0 Mercruiser running problems

1970Mach1

Seaman
New here! First off I've had the boat for probably 10 yrs or so. It's a 18ft Stingray with a 3.0L Mercruiser I think it's considered EST ignition. When I first bought the boat I rebuilt the carb and it ran beautifully, wasn't really to bad before but did run much smoother. I also set the timing (ill get more into that later) and adjusted the idle. I docked the boat for a couple years and it ran beautifully and reliable. I bought a house and you know how that goes, no more docking. Anyway last couple years its been acting up. You run it for a bit then I'll sit and wait at a lock idleing and the engine will start to buck and chuck. Feels like it is running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Throw the it in neutral and rev the engine to about 2,000 for a bit to clear it out. It will go back to a smooth idle but only for a little bit. So I took the carb apart and cleaned it, when this started a few years ago. That didn't change anything. Next year I rebuilt the carb with a kit and changed fuel filter. No change. I bought a new cap and rotor from eBay. I took the boat out and no change. However when I got to the ramp the engine died after being on it for hours. Got it home and saw the contact on the rotor burned and melted off. This was a cheap eBay cap and rotor. So I got a Sierra this time but again no change in the idle after it got warm. I'm pretty sure I changed the plugs at that time, I thought I tried to get them at AutoZone but they didn't have and I ordered them from Ebay.
Last year I went over the carb with a fine tooth comb and no change. Maybe I've missed something on the carb I don't know. Last time i had it out when it was bucking it smelled real rich exhaust. So I'm leaning towards ignition, this year I bought a coil and ignition module. The old module didn't seem to have any dielectric grease left. I bought the coil from eBay and it said Sierra but didn't come with a Sierra box so it's probably a cheap one. The module was a cheap one from eBay. I don't have the money to buy the good stuff, so I don't know how good these parts really are. So back to adjusting the timing. Every time I do it by the book I get the same results. I hook up the jumper write to distributor, bypass shift interrupt switch, hook up tach with front ignition wire and a gray wire on side of block. I set it to 1? before to dead center. Unhook all the stuff rev it up to 2200 and its always read way over 12-14?. It's off the timing plate like in the 20's. Both modules do the same thing so I don't know if I do it wrong or what.
So anyway I thought the module would solve all my problems. After changing the coil and module I started it and the idle now is rough is not horrible but definitely not that smooth. If it put the distributor on 6?btdc its pretty nice but not on 1?. I messed with it and set the idle at 750rpm. Got it the best i could. I took the boat and it didn't do the bucking like it has been doing. I'm guessing the old module was getting hot causing that? But now I'm left with not a smooth idle, plus i forgot to mention it use to fire up fast now it cranks a fair amount before firing, this is the same with the old module and coil as the new ones. I've yet to replace the wires due to money. But what do I do now? Try the old module with new dielectric grease? Is the cheap new coil and module ok? I'm at the end of my rope with this boat.

Thanks for the help.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Start out with a compression test. See where your motor is on wear.

What do your plugs look like after running rough?

Your timing advance with the EST should be around 24-26? BTDC when you are up around 2K RPM. So that sounds correct. Your EST system uses the EST Delco coil made for it, correct?

1970Mach1

Seaman
Start out with a compression test. See where your motor is on wear.

What do your plugs look like after running rough?

Your timing advance with the EST should be around 24-26? BTDC when you are up around 2K RPM. So that sounds correct. Your EST system uses the EST Delco coil made for it, correct?
I'm pretty sure I checked it a couple years ago but I'll check it again. What range should the compression be in?

I've never pulled the plugs after it was running rough.

My book said said it should be at 12?-14? at 2200-2600 rpm. I don't know why it says that cause it's definitely not.

It is the same coil that came off of it.

Ill check the compressing and report back.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
What range should the compression be in?.

130-150 psi when cranking

agreed, lose the clymers manual. you can use it for knee pads or to level the couch. not worth the paper they are printed on. may be worth fire starting if your lost in the desert.

Rick has you set up with the on-line mercruiser manual

1970Mach1

Seaman
Ok fellas here are my results front to back #1 160psi #2 160psi #3 160psi #4 173psi

I check my sisters lawn mower for the fun of it and it was 60 but then again I couldn't get the throttle wide open, I have no idea how they work in this day in age with them having no throttle.

Anyway I check the boat again and #1 was 160 2 was 160 3 was 160 4 was 165 give or take 3psi.

1970Mach1

Seaman
No Title

The plugs are from right to left 1,2,3,4 1 being the front cylinder and 4 being the back cylinder. They are AC Delco R43T

I also did the compression check with the engine cold, I dont know if it matters if you have to warm it up first.

Chris

Attachments

• photo275441.jpg
    photo275441.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 0

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, reading over the post again.. When you start the engine, let it get warm, hook up the jumper on the distributor and bypass the shift inter. switch by hooking them together, you can verify it does go into service mode? You'll know, because rpm and engine will change... -- Set the timing to 1 degree BTDC -- then verify by unhooking wires that timing did advance to 12 degrees btdc... and then when you take rpms to 2400 that it is around 24-26

1970Mach1

Seaman
Ok, reading over the post again.. When you start the engine, let it get warm, hook up the jumper on the distributor and bypass the shift inter. switch by hooking them together, you can verify it does go into service mode? You'll know, because rpm and engine will change... -- Set the timing to 1 degree BTDC -- then verify by unhooking wires that timing did advance to 12 degrees btdc... and then when you take rpms to 2400 that it is around 24-26
Hey I think we are on to something here! I remember when I hooked up the shift interrupt switch in the past it would run like crap to set it. It runs like that now.
No it don't seem to be changing, when I did all this I pushed the shift switch and it does do something, like cuts the ignition or slows down. I don't really know what it really does. When I had it all hooked up I unplugged the distributor jumper and it shut right off. I just didn't think the wires were making cinnection so that why I did all that.

But anyway if it's not changing the timing back to 12-14 after being hooked up what does that mean? Is my eBay ignition module not working right or is something else a luck?

Thanks for the help guys!

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, unhook your jumper, and hook the shift switch back up (purple to purple, white/green to white/green) --- start it up.. Whats the timing set at?

Now, with it running, you need to hook your jumper up to the distributor, then unplug the shift switch purple and white/green wires and hook them into each other(not the ones connected to the switch, but the long ones going to those). If it dies, then you need to undo wires and jumper, slightly adjust timing (by turning distributor) and start it the procedure over again. Once you hook that shift switch up, it will idle down REAL low, almost to dying stage.. Then you need to set your timing to 1 degree BTDC, and unhook swift switch wires and reconnect them as normal, and then unplug jumper and it will be out of service mode and then check timing and make sure it did advance to 12 degrees btdc.. then run up your rpms to 2400, see if its around 24-26.

1970Mach1

Seaman
Ok, unhook your jumper, and hook the shift switch back up (purple to purple, white/green to white/green) --- start it up.. Whats the timing set at?

Now, with it running, you need to hook your jumper up to the distributor, then unplug the shift switch purple and white/green wires and hook them into each other(not the ones connected to the switch, but the long ones going to those). If it dies, then you need to undo wires and jumper, slightly adjust timing (by turning distributor) and start it the procedure over again. Once you hook that shift switch up, it will idle down REAL low, almost to dying stage.. Then you need to set your timing to 1 degree BTDC, and unhook swift switch wires and reconnect them as normal, and then unplug jumper and it will be out of service mode and then check timing and make sure it did advance to 12 degrees btdc.. then run up your rpms to 2400, see if its around 24-26.

Ok running it with nothing hooked up at 700rpm its on 1?BTDC.

Engine running, hooking up jumper on distributor and then unplugging shift switch and plugging the 2 wires together (not the wires on the switch) nothing is happening, staying at 1?. After your last post I do remember it ruining rough when you hooked those wires up. But that was with the original ignition module.

This is the one I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/322484388102

Along with this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/391319851874

Chris