1991 OMC Cobra 4.3 L Shifting Trouble

mike11374

Seaman
Last year I had trouble shifting into forward (a lot of grinding). I've read all the posts and info on this problem and most of the problems/recalls seem to be pre-1990 outdrives. Anyway, my mechanic (well versed in OMC's) adjusted the cable and it was perfect for the second half of the season. Well, here we are again and it is doing it again---not as bad right now. It goes into reverse perfectly and sometimes into forward perfect as well. The problem happens only when going into forward about half the time. Will another adjustment likely fix it or is there something else. New cable needed? If so, how much will that run me? New gear set? If so.... Any help is appreciated.

boathog

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1991 OMC Cobra 4.3 L Shifting Trouble

replace cable before you need a gear set , cable gets stiff not shifting all the way into gear

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is classic cable failing. Went through the exact same sequence 3 times on my Cobra. After you change a shift cable, it might be necessary to do minor adjustments year to year. If you ever have to do a major adjustment, the cable is shot. It usually failed for me at the drive end of the cable and the cable housing falling apart.<br /><br />A new cable is little less than $200 for an OMC cable and around $90 for a Sierra. I always used the OMC cables but who knows who makes them now.

mike11374

Seaman

How do the cables fail? Is it that they are stretched out or not moving properly inside the casing? Obviously mine is not broken as it works perfectly roughly half the time.

bandsaw48

Seaman Apprentice

Mike,<br /><br />NOt familiar with your boat but the cable on my machine is routed up to the engine in a rubber hose topped with a "shift cable bellows". The rubber hose has raw water in it, it just comes up over the water line, mine corroded through the cables outer steel casing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They have a pretty good bend in them where they exit the transom shield and enter the drive, especially when they are tilted up.<br /><br />You have a Cobra? Use it in salt water?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Have you taken the drive off? <br /><br />How does it feel when the drive is not on and you operate the cable at the engine with it disconnected from the forward cable? Also, when you have the drive off, examine the cable near the bellcrank for fraying and cable housing integrity.