1991 Force 150 Trim Tilt Puzzle!

I have a 1991 Force 150 motor on my skeeter and in the Clymer manual it is unclear if I use Dextron II fluid or 10W - 40 motor oil for the trim/tilt system. The previous owner thinks Dextron II, but the book leans towards the motor oil for this particular trim/tilt unit for the 150. I have never heard of motor oil being used for hydraulic fluid in a trim/tilt system. Please help! Thanks!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Force 150 Trim Tilt Puzzle!

I would take a look at the fluid and see what is in there now.<br />Shouldn't be hard to tell if you have oil or trans fluid.<br />Yes some were designed for use with motor oil.<br />I read somewhere, a while back, why, and that these systems should continue using motor oil. The reason escapes me now.<br />My 95 70hp uses straight 30w oil.

Thanks Roscoe! The trouble is the previous owner installed a new trim motor, used Dextron II and trim/tilt did not work (he doesn't know what was in there before). So then he bought a valve body and had it sent to me after the sale. I have installed the valve body tonight and I'm wondering what to do still. The book lists some models of Force, like you said, with the intregal motor/piston trim/tilt units with Dextron II, but the outside motor units like my 91 model 150 on the trim/tilt uses 10W-40 motor oil. Boat shops say power steering fluid. I still don't know. Please help!

Realgun

Commander

If your tilt and trim are two rams then use 30wt non detergent oil. If your tilt and trim is one ram use tilt trim fluid from Merc.

Thanks guys! I took your advice over many others and today my trim/tilt unit on my 1991 Force 150 works great with 30W non-detergent motor oil. I installed a rebuilt valve body last night before this doing this today. Today I'm still bleeding off the Dextron II fluid from the previous owners attempted fix by adding more motor oil after cycles, but the thing works great with the motor oil as hydraulic fluid. My unit does have the two separate rams for trim and tilt.

Realgun

Commander

Thats the information I got from the Seloc manual. You need to read it a few times on the tilt/trim section to get the information.<br /><br />Glad to hear yours is working.<br />I had to have the base bored out and welded back and taped to hold the bolt that got broke off for the trim. Works in the driveway but will see next Friday if it works again!