1991 Force 150 no spark - 5th cylinder

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have been trying to trouble-shoot the lack of power in my force 150. After checking for spark I noticed nothing on my #5 cylinder. I have checked the ignition coils by swapping them and all are fine. Any advice on which ignition component is causing this problem?

Thanks,
CM

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 Force 150 no spark - 5th cylinder

Welcome to iboats.

They used 2 different ignition systems in 1991.

If yours has blue coils and blue cd modules, I would suspect the cd module.
They are troublesome.
The good news is that each module can supply 2 coils, so you have an extra output that may be good, for a while.

If you have black coils and a switchbox to control spark, I would suspect the switchbox, or the trigger unit.

Either way, it is time to buy a Clymer or Factory service manual, and follow the trouble shooting section, before you spend a fortune on parts.

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

:)Thank you for the great reply... my Force is the Prestolite ignition (which has the blue coils and cd modules) I will try the extra output on the 3rd cd module after work today.
It's information like this that is priceless! Thanks again.
CM

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Rosco, I changed out the cd module as you described but still no spark on # 5. I ruled out the trigger and the coils again... all things now point for me to the stator. Could the stator be the problem... I was under the impression that if the stater was at fault then I wouldn't see spark at any cylinder?
Any comments?

Thanks.
CM

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

Hello, could you recomend a parts store that I can order this stator for my Force 150 1991 with prestolite ignition? I don't see it listed on iboats ?? Is the stater the same regardless on 2,3,4,or 5 cylinder outboards?

CM

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

When the stator fails, it will effect all cylinders.

Now, did you just swap the 2 outputs on the dc module?
Because you also have to swap the trigger to cd inputs, so the cd can tell the cd to fire on the second output wire.

We still only know that the cd is not firing.
It could be because the cd is bad, or because the trigger is not sending a signal to make it fire.

You should swap 2 of the cds around, if the no spark issue moves to the new cylinders, then the cd is the culprit.
If the no spark stays on the 5th cylinder, then it is the trigger not sending a signal.

For future reference:
STATOR
174-6231K2
$135.00

maxrules dot com

4runneradam

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to interrupt, but is it possible for the trigger or stator to damage the CD unit? I had a no spark on #2 cy, put in a new CD and it worked for about 10 minutes, and then the same #2 cy went dead again. I don't know if the CD unit went out, again, or if the trigger is causing the problem. I'm afraid to swap the other CD unit over or buy a new one in fear of damaging another part.

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Roscoe,
Thanks again for the reply... we did completley switch the cd module that fires 4 & 5 cylinders with the module that fires #3 cylinder... all wires. and again only no spark on the #5, the #3 & #5 have spark again... so cd units must be working.

We noticed the stator had a burn't section on it (coil/magnet), could this be causing # 5 to not fire? (causing the trigger to have no signal?

I don't know much about the trigger.. how could we run a quick test? I do have a manual, but can't quite find the trigger test.

CM

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi... sorry about typo in last reply. cylinders 3&4 are firing again.. just not cylinder 5.
CM:cool:

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

:cool:Hi Roscoe,
I believe I have isolated the problem to the stator. Unfortunately I ordered the part as you described and it was the wrong one...MY FAULT! it turns out that my motor isn't a 1991 like the guy I bought it from said. The serial plate had been removed or somehow "Fell Off" so I just went by what he said.

Thank you for that website link maxrules.com it has a serial# / Model # look-up and I was able to match up the model # from my motor to be a 1989 Force 150 with serial#00x15605.

I knew I got the wrong stator right away as the new one only has two wires.
After pulling the fly weel off... my stator has 6 wires + 2 = 8 wires total. 1 of which goes to the cd module that I believe is not firing my 5th cylinder.

My plan now is to get the right stator, replace and hope I get spark in #5.

What do you think? I am a first time boat owner and am learning alot about this outboard. (This system is seeming pretty simple now that I have been staring at the Electricla diagram for about a week!:)

CM

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You are likely on the right track.
If you have a Clymer repair manual, the trigger and stator tests are outlined on pages 84-88.

For the trigger, you have to disconnect the wires, then check resistance between the white/black wire, and each of the other 5. It should read between 1100-1400 ohms.

Keep us posted.

millercm1

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Roscoe, a new stator did the trick and I was back in business, running just as it was before the problem...unfortunately after towing around girls on tubes for 5 hours at a charity event today I have come across a new problem. I'm going to start a new thread. " Bad noise when in Neutral "